78' LeMANS

Status
Not open for further replies.

buba198

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2007
hi i am looking for a speedometer for my 78 lemans with the stainless gauge type and i was googling something about the car and ended up on a wikpidia web site that said the lemans from 1978-1980 that was canadian build was defined as a lemans "gt" can any one verify this

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
No, that's not right. There was the Lemans and the Grand Lemans.

I believe I might have a 78 speedometer.
Does it have to have the trip odometer?
Email me at [email protected]

buba198

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2007
this is the context from wich i got this

"models not on list born before G-body classification of 1982 were:

* 1978-1981 Chevrolet Malibu F41
* 1980-1980 Chevrolet Malibu M80
* 1978-1981 Pontiac LeMans GT (possibly Canadian only)
* 1978-1980 Oldsmobile 442
* 1979-1979 Oldsmobile Hurst/Olds

[edit]

the web site link is , bottom of the page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_G_platform_(RWD)

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
This is just saying there were these models designated as A-bodies before GM changed the letter to G in 1982. (These models were A bodies going way back) Why the change? I don't know. The part number book will say 78-81 A and 82-87 G, same part.
I can tell Wiki isn't a great source for this.....it only lists the more sports image models.....for instance the Olds 442,instead of Olds Cutlass. It would have been more accurate to be all-inclusive....Malibu, Monte Carlo, Lemans, GrandAm, Grand Prix, Regal, Cutlass.
And why did they leave off the Monte SS, the GrandAm, the Grand Prix SJ, and the Regal?

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Yeah there are some inaccuracies on that page to be sure. I'll look at finding some hard facts and see about updating it correctly (hey its a wiki!)

And Chick Hicks does NOT look like a G-body!! Looks more like a late 70's early 80's T-bird/LTD to me! :D

buba198

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2007
just a thought has anyone put a 355 sbc in a 78 lemans im throwing the dual exaust on this week and am thinking of dropping this in thair it has a lunati cam with .454 lift and ported heads

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
I think if it already has a chevy engine, you're ok. If its a 301 you're replacing, it may be a hassle.

What do you want for a speedo? Silver is 1978, but as Steve asked, trip odometer important? Clock, tach or blank right half? Tachs = $$$

buba198

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2007
i dont care about the trip just want to get that autometer out of thair and you have a silver tach then me and u need to talk

buba198

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2007
got a new one for you has any one had problems with the wireing harness, the car spent most of its life in the flordia sun so im shure that parts of wires have melted togethor but i have had to run a relay to the ignition coil with a back up switch under the dash becaus i cannot find soures of the fault and the head light dimmet moved to the floor (by prefrence) but where dose the lead for the distributer end at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor