78 Malibu Wagon from Poland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack, theres a ton of US cars in Europe. Back when I was going to Spring and Fall Carlisle every year there was a whole group of buyers from Europe that would purchase a load of cars to ship back and sell. One of my high school friends sold a 55 Chevy to a guy from Germany. I actually met the guy at a local car show just before he shipped the car back. He told me there were plenty of Camaros and Vettes in Germany. Brought over by guys stationed there that were in the military. When they came back to the states, they sold the cars instead of paying to have them shipped back. Im thinking it would be a lot of fun taking a Vette out on the Autobahn !
Mich,
I suspect things have opened up in Poland after the Soviets relinquished control back to the Poles.
Prior to that, I'm thinking there was hardly any American cars in Poland. I might be wrong though.

From what I understand, American cars are popular throughout Europe and Scandinavia.
I've always heard about American servicemen leaving their cars behind in Germany. But you still had the ones that were attached to their cars and had them shipped back in a container.
A good example is on the Wheeler Dealers. The Brits love American cars over there. They can't seem to get enough of them.

I think it would be a blast cruising the Autobahn in a nice Corvette.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Mich,
I suspect things have opened up in Poland after the Soviets relinquished control back to the Poles.
Prior to that, I'm thinking there was hardly any American cars in Poland. I might be wrong though.

From what I understand, American cars are popular throughout Europe and Scandinavia.
I've always heard about American servicemen leaving their cars behind in Germany. But you still had the ones that were attached to their cars and had them shipped back in a container.
A good example is on the Wheeler Dealers. The Brits love American cars over there. They can't seem to get enough of them.

I think it would be a blast cruising the Autobahn in a nice Corvette.

Jack,
You may be right about Poland and American cars. Never really thought about that.
Germany always had a lot of cars though. Before ebay changed their format in motors the German ebay site had a section called US cars. Tons of stuff from SUVs to street rods. Theres still a lot of US cars on there but you have to look them up by manufacturer which is a pain in the neck. Check out ebay.de

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Raga,
I'm anxious to see how your wagon comes together. That's a wild color. Seeing how nice the tailgate looks, I can imagine what the whole car is going to look like. :cool:

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack,
You may be right about Poland and American cars. Never really thought about that.
Germany always had a lot of cars though. Before ebay changed their format in motors the German ebay site had a section called US cars. Tons of stuff from SUVs to street rods. Theres still a lot of US cars on there but you have to look them up by manufacturer which is a pain in the neck. Check out ebay.de
Mich,
I forgot, in the advent of Ebay and social media, that's another way many American cars find their way overseas. Plus like you said, Europeans come to the states to buy cars and make arrangements to have them shipped back.

Raga138

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 23, 2018
Raga,
I'm anxious to see how your wagon comes together. That's a wild color. Seeing how nice the tailgate looks, I can imagine what the whole car is going to look like. :cool:
2 coats of epoxy and acrylic primer, 1 coat of silver, 4 coats of candy colour with metalic, 3 coats of clearcoat with candy extract and some flakes ;)

Mich,
I forgot, in the advent of Ebay and social media, that's another way many American cars find their way overseas. Plus like you said, Europeans come to the states to buy cars and make arrangements to have them shipped back.

Mostly we use companies/friends who find and ship cars to Europe or we find cars thru craigslist or insurance sites.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
2 coats of epoxy and acrylic primer, 1 coat of silver, 4 coats of candy colour with metalic, 3 coats of clearcoat with candy extract and some flakes ;)

Mostly we use companies/friends who find and ship cars to Europe or we find cars thru craigslist or insurance sites.
Thank you for explaining that. The video with the car show, you would think it was taken in the US.

The paint has nice depth to it. It's going to look sweet when it's all together.

How far along are you with the wagon project?

Last edited:

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I imagine it's pretty expensive to drive our fuel swillers around in Europe. It seems expensive here and our fuel is cheap by comparison.

• Agree

Raga138

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 23, 2018
I imagine it's pretty expensive to drive our fuel swillers around in Europe. It seems expensive here and our fuel is cheap by comparison.
Well its the most asked question when somebody asks about the car. I always answer that i buy fuel for 100$ so it cost me 100$ to drive it ;)

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You're absolutely right. Gas is so much more than it is in the states. It's always been that way. But on the bright side, I'm sure the gas is ethanol free. They don't use that corn piss as we use here.
I run my car, my mower, chainsaw and minibikes on non-ethanol gas.

Raga138

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 23, 2018
You're absolutely right. Gas is so much more than it is in the states. It's always been that way. But on the bright side, I'm sure the gas is ethanol free. They don't use that corn piss as we use here.
We have rather good or very good fuel here. The whole downsizing 1.2 tripleturbo with 250 hp sh*t is very vulnurable for low quality juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor