'78 regal with Pontiac 350. Starter issue??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colindunn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 31, 2012
350 Pontiac out of a '72 lemans. Swapped into my Buick regal '78. Trans is a saginaw 4 speed. Out of an 80's camaro. Starter is from a Pontiac lemans since that's the engine I'm using. Brand new starter. Works fine. Except it just barely hits the teeth on the flywheel. With no shims. Do I need a different starter? Are starters different if for a manual trans? I can't think of anything.

Colindunn said:
I mean, adding shims moves it further away from the flywheel am I wrong?

Yes and no. Adding a full shim will move it away. Adding a half shim to the outside bolt will move it closer.

Something's wrong. Usually a Pontiac starter will be too close to the flywheel without any shims. Then the procedure is to shim it until you have .020" clearance. Where did the manual flywheel come from?

Your starter needs to match the number of teeth on the flywheel then you can shim it to get it perfect. Theres 2 sizes of flywheels 153 tooth and 168 tooth (i think those are the numbers) and a few oddballs like the buick 3.8 which is 160 tooth. But it sounds to me your using the wrong starter get the 153 tooth starter and go from there.

"Theres 2 sizes of flywheels 153 tooth and 168 tooth" that is for a Chevy, this is a Pontiac with 166 teeth. Where did the flywheel come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor