BUICK 78 Slant Back Buick Century Found!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
I don’t think gp’s got the diesel...??? Anyone???
They did, I've only found them with it from '81-85 though. https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/c...ngine-pontiac-grand-prix-lj-absolutely-sings/

*From wiki* From 1981 there was also the 5.7-liter V8 diesel engine supplied by Oldsmobile, but the poor reliability and durability were disappointing. In addition, the additional price required was considerable, and the diesel was no more economical than the basic six-cylinder engine. The diesel engine was therefore given up again in 1985.

1603691351922.png

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Wow, that 260 V8 Diesel is extremely rare. Somehow they were worse than the 350's. Doesn't make sense, the smaller bore and lighter pistons should have made bottom end and head gaskets hold up better. That is only one I have ever heard of with the original motor under the hood. Now find one with the original motor and 5 spd, you will have a unicorn. CrammerGram69, what you need to find in a 82 to 85 with the RWD 4.3 V6 diesel. You will get better mileage, a serpentine belt drive, extra head bolts and a water fuel separator. It was such an improvement, guys with the fwd version have turbo charged them with success. There was a guy running one on Classic Olds. I tried to convince him to turbo charge it. The RWD has cast iron vs aluminum heads on the fwd, so it would hold up better. He was happy getting 40 mpg US out of his 4 door Cutlass, so he left it stock, all 85 hp. Good luck on your search.

Reactions: 1 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
I got the diesel he dropped the price

I love the type of ppl who say these are worthless & you'd be stupid to save it. etc
That's me also. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Wow, that 260 V8 Diesel is extremely rare. Somehow they were worse than the 350's. Doesn't make sense, the smaller bore and lighter pistons should have made bottom end and head gaskets hold up better. That is only one I have ever heard of with the original motor under the hood. Now find one with the original motor and 5 spd, you will have a unicorn. CrammerGram69, what you need to find in a 82 to 85 with the RWD 4.3 V6 diesel. You will get better mileage, a serpentine belt drive, extra head bolts and a water fuel separator. It was such an improvement, guys with the fwd version have turbo charged them with success. There was a guy running one on Classic Olds. I tried to convince him to turbo charge it. The RWD has cast iron vs aluminum heads on the fwd, so it would hold up better. He was happy getting 40 mpg US out of his 4 door Cutlass, so he left it stock, all 85 hp. Good luck on your search.
it was a HUGE Mistake GM used the gasoline head bolts (Maybe not on the 260?) But I know on the 350s they did & no water separator!? are you kidding me? Jesus.

Yeah the 4.3L RWD I what I was going after instead of the FWD... although I do really like the 79-85 E-Body Caddy's with them like the Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz lol. Luxury MPG Boats! Hah.

Oh wow. I didn't know that about the Cyl heads. Yeah, man, these days both Fuels are Expensive. I can't imagine living in CALI with over $4,00 a Gal. Even here in Michigan when it gets around $2.36 it's a lot.

They are just such outcasts in the G-Body Community i feel a need like Regalman08 Too at least save a couple. ;) Thanks for the tips.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
We are around $4.00 Canadian for a US gallon. Only the 4.3 V6 Diesel has an extra head bolt per cylinder. Our Challenger GT is economy vehicle, 37 Imperial mpg. My 88 Cutlass pulls out nearly 25 mpg Imperial, good enough for me. Other than the 4.3, these Diesels are pretty fragile as Diesel motors. The blocks are very heavy duty, so they make great gas race motors.

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
it was a HUGE Mistake GM used the gasoline head bolts (Maybe not on the 260?) But I know on the 350s they did & no water separator!? are you kidding me? Jesus.

Yeah the 4.3L RWD I what I was going after instead of the FWD... although I do really like the 79-85 E-Body Caddy's with them like the Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz lol. Luxury MPG Boats! Hahaha. Oh wow. I didn't know that about the Cyl heads. Yeah Man these days both Fuels are Expensive. I can't imagine living in CALI with over $4,00 a Gal. Even here in Michigan when it gets around $2.36 it's a lot.

They are just such outcasts in the G-Body Community i feel a need like Regalman08 Too at least save a couple. ;) Thanks for the tips.
I agree
We should all save a couple. I have two saved and a third one being done soon.
These cars are unique and deserve the love the other g body's get.

• Agree
  • Love

Regalman08

Apprentice
Oct 19, 2015
Canada
I agree
We should all save a couple. I have two saved and a third one being done soon.
These cars are unique and deserve the love the other g body's get.
They will
One day be realized and wanted is what I feel... I like that most g body guys don’t even know they are in the family haha

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
We are around $4.00 Canadian for a US gallon. Only the 4.3 V6 Diesel has an extra head bolt per cylinder. Our Challenger GT is economy vehicle, 37 Imperial mpg. My 88 Cutlass pulls out nearly 25 mpg Imperial, good enough for me. Other than the 4.3, these Diesels are pretty fragile as Diesel motors. The blocks are very heavy duty, so they make great gas race motors.
Mostly if not all my Vehicles have always been "Unwanted" & Not desirable diesels. Lol
Except my '79 LeMans being the only Gasser i have. ;)

for awhile I had 4-5 Chevette diesels laying around lol But yeah I know what you mean Fraile I'm not "New!" To this. I've had a few Olds diesels... Way before I was on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor