BUICK 78 Slant Back Buick Century Found!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regalman08

Apprentice
Oct 19, 2015
Canada
Mostly if not all my Vehicles have always been "Unwanted" & Not desirable diesels. Lol
Except my '79 LeMans being the only Gasser i have. ;)

for awhile I had 4-5 Chevette diesels laying around lol But yeah I know what you mean Fraile I'm not "New!" To this. I've had a few Olds diesels... Way before I was on the forums.

you sound knowledgeable in these things so I’ll ask you. What’s involved in rebuilding one of these injector pumps on the olds 4.3/260 V8 diesel ??? My car came with two one of which is supposed to be working but if not are they repairable?
both are removed from the car one shaft is rotatable by hand easy one is very stiff. No idea which one is good.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I don’t think gp’s got the diesel...??? Anyone???
Mine is an 82 Brougham and was originally a diesel. It had been swapped to gas when I bought it but some of the evidence of the diesel remains (diesel fuel only fuel guage, etc.).

Reactions: 1 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
you sound knowledgeable in these things so I’ll ask you. What’s involved in rebuilding one of these injector pumps on the olds 4.3/260 V8 diesel ??? My car came with two one of which is supposed to be working but if not are they repairable?
both are removed from the car one shaft is rotatable by hand easy one is very stiff. No idea which one is good.
That I have never done, there are too many pieces, and the seals are very prone to splitting they must be clean & if the smallest of dirt was to get on them they will not seal properly Or sometimes they run away... The biggest part with these engs is that Parts only a few in the Whole NA Market even supplies them anymore and parts are very hard to come by.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
That's a shame. :/
I can appreciate the rarity of the diesel at this point but I'd rather have a SBC. Now, if my car had been an unmodified survivor, I wouldn't have cut it up, but I also wouldn't have bought it. I hope you can find the car you are looking for. Happy hunting!

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Mine is an 82 Brougham and was originally a diesel. It had been swapped to gas when I bought it but some of the evidence of the diesel remains (diesel fuel only fuel guage, etc.).
Pretty much all of them up here I saw had Olds gas V8's swapped in them. So of course I liked them just fine. Just think if Olds would have built the 4.3 V6 first, the way they should have been built. Every company would have turbo diesels in everything by late 80's or early 90's. Now with current NOX issues, it will never be. There could have been millions built.

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Nice find! I'd love to find a clean diesel and put a turbo on it with some decent fuel management and a 4l80e and make a hyper-miler

I can pull parts, shipping is doable but expensive if its over the size of a toaster. I only can access most of the parts between October and before it snows and a few months in the spring after it melts but before it gets overgrown. It snowed like 8"-1ft last week so it's a bit tough to get to until it settles. I do need to make a trip there for some parts next month so if you want me to keep an eye out for anything I can see whats there.

I thought I had photos of the whole car but I don't apparently. This is one 2 cars down, not diesel but right color. View attachment 160321

Here is what I have. It was gas swapped. Last registered in 92. I took the script valvecovers off the 73 350. It's crusty but almost complete.
View attachment 160322

View attachment 160323
View attachment 160324

The diesel is the one on the right I am walking by in this video.
Any 78-81 Pontiac's out there? I've got a LeMans i need some emblems for.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Watched it all ( but FF the hiway ). I have done the same thing approx 2 years ago, when I deove from Houston, TX to Flagstaff, AZ to get my 78 Century. It was a daily driver for the guy I bought it from.
IMG_9935.JPG

I had big plans for it, and then found a 78 Salon in better shape, so I switched gears and started building the Salon. The Century has sat the entire time, but is started on occasion. I drove it down the street about a month ago. I had gathered a bunch of parts for this car, with plans for a 455 Big Block Buick. I still have everything though. I now have (3) Aero cars. I have only seen (1) other one in this huge city of Houston, and it was for sale. I would have bought it also if I had a place to put it. My wife is lucky we don't have all the room you have to park cars... :ROFLMAO: I hope you are handy at body/frame work, because you got some welding to do... I am almost certain when you pull up the carpet you will find more rust in the floor. The good thing is, your headliner, package tray, and rear plastic are in good usable condition. Those are the hardest parts to find in good shape. Thanks for posting the video.

Reactions: 2 users

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
Watched it all ( but FF the hiway ). I have done the same thing approx 2 years ago, when I deove from Houston, TX to Flagstaff, AZ to get my 78 Century. It was a daily driver for the guy I bought it from.
View attachment 164189
I had big plans for it, and then found a 78 Salon in better shape, so I switched gears and started building the Salon. The Century has sat the entire time, but is started on occasion. I drove it down the street about a month ago. I had gathered a bunch of parts for this car, with plans for a 455 Big Block Buick. I still have everything though. I now have (3) Aero cars. I have only seen (1) other one in this huge city of Houston, and it was for sale. I would have bought it also if I had a place to put it. My wife is lucky we don't have all the room you have to park cars... :ROFLMAO: I hope you are handy at body/frame work, because you got some welding to do... I am almost certain when you pull up the carpet you will find more rust in the floor. The good thing is, your headliner, package tray, and rear plastic are in good usable condition. Those are the hardest parts to find in good shape. Thanks for posting the video.
Texas must have had a lot of these as I bought three of mine from Texas. They are rust free and easy to disassemble for restoration.

Regalman08

Apprentice
Oct 19, 2015
Canada
View attachment 164189
Thanks for watching! Love the story on yours!!! I’ll be watching for another one of these but man there isn’t many and even when there is no one knows what they are and off to the wrecker they get sent!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor