MALIBU 78 with frame rust

4elatemodel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2023
Hey all,
Just picked up a 78 malibu 4 door last week. I've been crawling around under it every chance I get. I happened across some frame rot around one of the reat body bushing mounts (a week spot I know).

Is there any reason I can't cut it out and re build it with fresh metal? I've seen some people wanting to stay away from the frame seam why?

Thanks
1000000948.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
You can source different rails and weld those in or you can try and fix it, just do everything you can to avoid and prevent cracks. A crack can turn a corner but it can't take a roundabout. What I mean is if you're going to cut, remove, and replace rectangular shapes (or fix a crack) then drill a hole at each corner (or end) before welding. It relieves the stress- a crack will not continue once it encounters a circular hole. Having a hole pre-drilled also provides a very clear reference point of where to cut and when to stop. Given the size of that rust hole I imagine the frame is currently in a bit of stress due to a loss of structural integrity.

Be mindful of warping or work hardening these frames, as they're comprised of substandard steel. I guess it's not really "work hardening" but when you weld steel you change the microstructure of the entire Heat Affected Zone, and that makes it harder and therefore more brittle.

It's never fun to weld on top of another weld- it's considerably different than the surrounding metal and therefore requires a change in technique... mid weld. It's not uncommon to have poor penetration.

If things crack later, it's most likely to happen at the edge of a weld.

So it's possible to ruin the temper of the frame, warp it, and send a new crack down an old seam all while having a weld that didn't penetrate well enough to begin with.

Reactions: 3 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Reason for most shying away is catastrophic failure to include death. Imagine going down the highway and back bumper falls off and into the car behind you or spring perch collapses and into the on coming lane at highway speed.

If the repair is in front of or after the connection area of the "coach" is not as bad as if it is in the long span in between the axles. You have to remember the vehicle is two structures of sprung and unsprung weight joined together by the frame and has to stay in balance as well as proper geometry.

Then if done by a shop you run the risk of the repair entered to DMV and you end up with a vehicle that has a "salvage" or "non-rebuildable" title. This can cause the vehicle to be unsalable or not be able to plate and insure it once the restoration is done.

Late 70's to mid eighties the steel was garbage. USA steel production was being killed and large influx of overseas steel coming in. Notice where the rust is and certain areas with a black coloration? This was due to poor quality control of the manufacture process and removing the slag from the steel.

GM also had trouble with soft cams, spring sag, body panel rust. All due to poor quality steel.

If you can do the repair and do it right, it's basically a non issue..., mechanics from model T days have been repairing frames.

Reactions: 1 users

4elatemodel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2023
Thanks for some of the tips guys! I might look into sourcing a rear rail. I think I found one that will work. It starts just behind what I'll call the axle bump? So it's behind the rear wheel and goes all the way to the bumper mounting. It's fairly cheap. Not a small peice of 12 gauge cheap but peace of mind cheap. Well see. For now she's holed up for the coming winter.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Right on. What exactly did you find? There are lengths of the stock frame for sale on eBay- people salvage them before crushing the rest. Pay close attention though, as the car, wagon, and Camino frames differ in the rear. There are also universal frame rail kits available from places like Summit. Perhaps Trick Chassis has something you'd like. Maybe check with Wild Rides. Have a look at A&A Manufacturing too before you commit to anything.

Most importantly check out UMI because they have all the braces and suspension parts you need and they make a damn fine product. Returning it to stock condition without adding their parts still leaves you with an unsatisfactory frame.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
That's a very common spot for rust on these vehicles. My far rear frame rails need replaced also. I call that my crumple zone until I can get to it. I'll make a template, cut it out and weld in a new piece of 3/16 steel in its place.

4elatemodel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2023
Right on. What exactly did you find? There are lengths of the stock frame for sale on eBay- people salvage them before crushing the rest. Pay close attention though, as the car, wagon, and Camino frames differ in the rear. There are also universal frame rail kits available from places like Summit. Perhaps Trick Chassis has something you'd like. Maybe check with Wild Rides. Have a look at A&A Manufacturing too before you commit to anything.

Most importantly check out UMI because they have all the braces and suspension parts you need and they make a damn fine product. Returning it to stock condition without adding their parts still leaves you with an unsatisfactory frame.
I bookmarked all those sites to check out. Was originally thinking umi but I'll poke around and see if there's any other parts I'd like to add.

As for frame rails I found these that claim fitment for a 1978 malibu. Granted a 2 door and not 4 but I think it should work?

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Here are some links to discussions about frame interchangeability.

And you can't go wrong with any UMI part.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
The 2 and 4 door Malibu frames are identical. The wagons and El Camino frames are different. Wagons have some differences at the back. El Caminos are also different at the back and have a longer wheel base. All of the 78-88 A/G bodies have a 108" wheel base. The El Caminos are 117"
Also, if swapping frames.....the Monte Carlo, Cutlass, Regal and Grand Prix frames are longer in the front which can result in the front bumper being too far from the body.

Reactions: 2 users

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
When it involves frame rust, the best and ONLY option is to find a replacement. The frame on my 87 El Camino had visible flaking but what worried me most was not knowing what was happening inside the rails.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor