'79 C10 'muscle truck' Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonOfRDgear

Greasemonkey
May 18, 2011
Boston
I am happy to say that as of the first of September I am the new owner of this sweet piece:

B5fRHMG.jpg

Its no G-body, but I've always wanted one of these trucks since I was little. My father had a k5 blazer, and then a c20 suburban while I was a kid and I always liked them for some reason. I actually had a 77 K5 blazer for about a month or two but it was in pretty rough shape and I was not in a position to be able to keep it.

So, now that I'm more financially stable and Ive gotten rid of alot of my other toys, I went and picked up this C10. I plan on doing what I would call a "mild frame-off restoration"; I'm not going to bother going through every nut and bolt, but I will clean, repair and paint all the major components and get it all in working order.

I hope you guys like trucks, cause I plan on posting my progress here :D .

gaJ9ahC.jpg

5uOIDCR.jpg

Last edited:

SonOfRDgear

Greasemonkey
May 18, 2011
Boston
Re: New Project (not a G-body)

Here's some more info on the truck:

It was originally a 6-cylinder with 3 on the tree. It now has a 350 in it and a (poorly installed) floor shifter. I found out yesterday it has the heavy duty front disk brakes. It also has a 12 bolt rear end out of an old dually. I'm not sure the gear ratio, but it has a rear sway bar which is pretty cool (and apparently hard to get).

by a lucky coincidence I was able to trade somebody for a really nice set of doors. The ones on it are all rotted away on the bottom, so they're pretty much junk.
Vr1fg3F.jpg

Heres the truck next to my father's truck. I can't say that I'm fond of his taste for aftermarket accessories. Is it just me or does the old one seem a lot wider?
uCx70go.jpg

Here are some progress shots from yesterday's tear-down
1E4Yp4a.jpg

EwsAQmV.jpg

and this is it at the end of today:
mMny0h1.jpg

heres a look at all the poorly-applied undercoating that I have to get off of the frame and control arms
osqcrya.jpg

Last edited:

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks

What are the plans for the drive train? A big block and 4l80e would be neat. maybe even an ls swap.

SonOfRDgear

Greasemonkey
May 18, 2011
Boston

I have a muncie m20 thats laying around, so i'll probably put it to good use in this. I already have a nice 350 to go under the hood, and i'll probably just leave the 12-bolt.
In all honesty I would love to get a big block under there, a 427 or a 454, but theyre just too damn expensive to build.

Right now I'm focusing on the chassis and replacing all the bushings etc... Once that stuff is done I'll start doing body rust repair (floors and quarter panels and all that fun stuff). If i'm lucky all that will be done by sometime next spring. THEN i'll worry about that drivetrain, haha.

I actually really wanted to build one with a manual trans, and that ended up being one of the major selling points for this one in particular.

SonOfRDgear

Greasemonkey
May 18, 2011
Boston

Just a little update. Continuing to take apart the front end. I pretty much have the right-side suspension taken apart, but i had to take a break cause of the rain.

35 year old body bushings. easy enough of a fix thankfully.
pwf1kF8.jpg

Last edited:

mac61891

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2013
West Central IL

I love these trucks. I have two that I drive regularly. I love to see them fixed up and not scraped, so many end up that way. I have loved them since I was a kid, too. Dad bought an 82 with a big block that I fell in love with and I still have. Love them. Good luck.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*

Lot's of progress. Keep it up and keep posting.

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan

Cool project!
You're not wasting any time, are you?
Great - and FAST - progress!!!

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada

Love these trucks as well! Good luck with it. I'll be stopping by this thread for updates.

I had a 77 shortbox, 78 K5, and a 80 GMC Jimmy 2 wheel drive. Great looks and easy to work with. Might have to dig through my old box of pics...had these long before I had a digital camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor