79 Cutlass Wagon G-machine build

Status
Not open for further replies.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Looks nice.

Any reason you did not mount the rear bar facing forward?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey Ben,
I been also thinking about you, and how you're progressing on the wagon. We've heard no new updates for a while. I hope things are taking shape and that the road awaits you soon.
I'm sure you've been working hard getting your plans in motion. Good luck man...

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Shotgun- The Camaro bar hits the LCAs if it's pointed forward.

Been working on the car every day, not much time to play on the internet since my focus is getting the car ready for the road trip asap. I drove it yesterday for the first time, put about 50 or so miles on it. Runs great, handles incredibly.

I don't like the look as much because it's not as low as it used to be and I like bumper scrapers, but I'll learn to live with it as it is. It's dropped about 2", where as before the rear was 3" and the front was 4". Mark at SC&C said LOW cars are great for fairgrounds but if not done right considering all the suspension pick up points it can actually negatively effect steering geometry. If this doesn't make sense to anyone pick up Mark's book "How to make a muscle car handle".

Here's a link to a video of first start up, about 2 weeks ago... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwa_1-q1 ... ture=g-upl

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It sounds good, Ben.
I'm sure you've been putting in long, hard hours to achieve getting it to a driveable stage. Hearing that you have put some miles on it already is welcome news.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Hey guys- I'm in a bit of a bind. I've got the car running but it's running a little hot, mostly between 210 and 230 degrees. You can read about it in this link. Scroll down to about post #418 on page 21- here's a link to that page... http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.p ... ter/page21

As you can read in the link I've tried everything I can think of to cool it down. Only thing I haven't done is put on a factory fan shroud and fan. I went junkyard hunting but no luck finding a shroud to replace my broken one. Wondering if any of you guys have a spare shroud for a g-body w/ small block Chevy V8? Lemme know...

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
SRD art said:
Hey guys- I'm in a bit of a bind. I've got the car running but it's running a little hot, mostly between 210 and 230 degrees. You can read about it in this link. Scroll down to about post #418 on page 21- here's a link to that page... http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.p ... ter/page21

As you can read in the link I've tried everything I can think of to cool it down. Only thing I haven't done is put on a factory fan shroud and fan. I went junkyard hunting but no luck finding a shroud to replace my broken one. Wondering if any of you guys have a spare shroud for a g-body w/ small block Chevy V8? Lemme know...
sh*t, i just threw mine away, but i do have an intrepid fan setup in the garage somewhere, have you though about that one?

[youtube]3FJR-3shXBU[/youtube]

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
Where are you taking the temp from? I originally had mine coming from the side of the block and it always read hot for me. Moved it to the top of the intake and I've had a more accurate reading since. Mine would say that it was 220+ but with the huge aluminum radiator I knew it couldn't be true as the car had never lost a drop of coolant. I also threw in a 160* thermostat and now my car rarely will go above 190 in any conditions. May be a little cool but I'd prefer that than running hot.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
It's in the intake next to the T-stat housing.

I took a mini road trip yesterday, about 2 hours long. Most it got up to was 225 and mostly fluctuated between 218 and 222. That was at about 65-70 mph, 2100-22-- rpms.

Someone is sending me a factory fan shroud from a Monte SS, and I'm going to try out my factory clutch fan with it. We'll see...

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It's worth a try, Ben.
Good luck man. I hope it works out for you. We certainly wish you the very best of luck and want to see you succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor