GRAND PRIX 79 Grand Prix Resurrection

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Which ones do you like the best? Especially curious about the Olds v8. Sorry to hijack.
The Pypes Race Pros are on the 67- 3" with an x-pipe. I did their whole kit, but modified the tailpipes to dump behind the rear wheel because the cannons going straight out was hideous.
The Magnaflow cat back kit is on my 02 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L with JBA shorty headers and factory cats. That muffler is a 2-3" in, 1-4" out configuration.
Lastly, the Pig has the 2.5" Borla with self made exhaust from a mandrel bent Speedway kit. I had to add a resonator to quiet it down. It's still not what I want, but it'll do.
So, to answer you question: I think my truck sounds the best with the Olds as a close second. However, as you can see, it's an apples to oranges to bananas comparison.......

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Pypes Race Pros are on the 67- 3" with an x-pipe. I did their whole kit, but modified the tailpipes to dump behind the rear wheel because the cannons going straight out was hideous.
The Magnaflow cat back kit is on my 02 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L with JBA shorty headers and factory cats. That muffler is a 2-3" in, 1-4" out configuration.
Lastly, the Pig has the 2.5" Borla with self made exhaust from a mandrel bent Speedway kit. I had to add a resonator to quiet it down. It's still not what I want, but it'll do.
So, to answer you question: I think my truck sounds the best with the Olds as a close second. However, as you can see, it's an apples to oranges to bananas comparison.......
Thanks, my 88 Cutlass sounds amazing and all runs under the passenger single hump. I need to see how big of a body the MagnaFlow mufflers come in for the 70S. I think the extra padding of the Brougham interior also made a difference on the 88 for interior noise.

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
The thought of being able to start this thing after its hot is intriguing...'sigh'

Feel like it will forever be hard to beat those two hundos I spent on it as far as bang for the buck
76df29cad104a72d279b763888e997a6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The thought of being able to start this thing after its hot is intriguing...'sigh'

Feel like it will forever be hard to beat those two hundos I spent on it as far as bang for the buck
76df29cad104a72d279b763888e997a6.jpg

My 10.6:1 468 is locked out at 36 degrees. I don't need a start retard with the Powermaster. It lugs a bit on the first turn when hot, but picks right up after that.

Reactions: 1 users

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Pontiac guy here with a similar set up, I like your project keep it up! PONTIAC LIVES!

Reactions: 1 users

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
Old plan...decide and execute transmission plan. Worry about headers and exhaust later

New plan.. take the manifolds, and down pipes off.

Buy...
3.5" to 3" collectors
Remflex gaskets (any better ideas?)
Locking Header bolts (recommendations?)

Install headers at same time as starter

Hope...
I can patch the new 3" to my old 2.5" pipes w mufflers

Pray...
Its not so loud I cant drive it to transmission shop to install what Im guessing is going to be a EA stage 2 bc I doubt Im knowledgeable enough to do it up correctly in my garage.

Figure out final exhaust plan after above....

Alternative Plan...
Do the exhaust completely right now and let the transmission shop worry about the exhaust being in the way.

My fear with this one is the pipe location may not work after new crossmember is installed rendering my new exhaust in need of more attention.

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
...Im just hoing to buy the crossmember now so I can eyeball the humps for a point of reference while Im working exhaust

Maybe I get lucky and it works out so I can finish exhaust first time

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Where are you located? Jimmy's in Union Grove (WI), used to be in Mundelein, IL, is also a very reputable 200-4r builder knowing the Turbo Buick world and has been doing these since probably the 80's.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor