79 Malibu 5.3 swap has officially BEGUN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
How much clearance do you have between the heads and firewall?
None period. I can fit about a piece of cardboard between them. And the trans was already in the car so i can only get 4 transmission bolts in since there is no room. Once its running ( or if it runs) my buddy is gonna help me get that 5th bolt in. Also the factory th350 dipstick wouldn't fit so i ended up using a lokar flex dipstick to move it.
I think if i do another gbody LS swap im gonna use 1/2 inch back plates instead of 1 inch for more clearance but i wanted to keep stock location of the cross member and drive shaft length that's why im using 1 inch.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Its dropped in. Somewhat wired up. Fan, Fuel pump installed. I dont have all the wires tidey and hidden yet but im getting there. Ive got grounds all over the place. Alternator is wired up sorta. The main power line to it is only 12 guage. Yes i know to small its all i had i just wanna make sure the alternator works then il pick up some 8 guage. MSD 6010 installed i cant believe how idiot proof that harness is LOL. I bought the 750 street demon and i hope it works as good as it looks. I ended up using S10 swap headers the last set i bought hit the firewall. I have a thing for the steam vent just not installed yet. Got the coils from a salvage yard so i dont know if they are good or not. If it dont run im gonna blame those. Theres lots to go over and ive been workin at it so hard ive completly forgot about the Youtube series i was trying to do lol. Still gotta get plugs, plug wires, belt. Oil, oil filter, stupid me forgot to put one on to cover it up i hope moisture didnt hurt it. And other things here and there.
I want this thing to run this weekend and im gonna do my best.
If it runs il let you guys know or if it blows up il let you guys know lol.
5.3almostdone.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Oh wow lol. I was just wondering because im going a completely different route on the motor mounts. found a company on ebay that sells universal ls swap mounts, all they are is a plate with 4 holes drilled to bolt to the block and it has a sleeve with a poly bushing welded on and comes with laser cut plates that weld to the crossmember. I was curious how far back it needs to be. Plus my turbo headers are huge lol

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Oh wow lol. I was just wondering because im going a completely different route on the motor mounts. found a company on ebay that sells universal ls swap mounts, all they are is a plate with 4 holes drilled to bolt to the block and it has a sleeve with a poly bushing welded on and comes with laser cut plates that weld to the crossmember. I was curious how far back it needs to be. Plus my turbo headers are huge lol
Well everyone has told me 1 inch back plates puts it in the same location as a 350. Which is true. Im still running the stock driveshaft and cross member location. And i went ahead and measured it earlier im exactly 1/4 inch away from the firewall. No contact is made. The only issue i had was trans bolts LOL which wouldnt be a problem if the motor and trans were dropped in as a unit.
As for adjustable mounts ive seen a few people use the Dirty Dingo mounts. They look pretty cool. You basically just slide the motor where you want it and bolt it down lol

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Well guys this thing freakin runs lol. Im in such a good mood. No knocks, pings, or smoke and holding a steady 60 psi of oil pressure when cold at idle and about 40 warmed up.
Alternator is still not charging im gonna check the pin outs again on the plug and if that dont help il have the alternator tested if bad il just buy a new one.
I ended up using the battery out of one of the Durangos to start it so no battery yet but once i get one il try and put up a video of it running on youtube.
No exhaust yet either just open headers so possible volume warning LOL

I just wanna thank everyone that helped me figure this out. Its been exactly a year ago this month that i said i wanna try this. I was scared out of my mind to do it too but everyone was there with the support and the know how to give me advice and i just wanna say thank you!
I also did this to inspire people that if i can figure it out then anyone can do it. And i did that. Tons of people have told me on here, facebook, and youtube that they were inspired to swap an LS while also asking me for help. Which is just crazy to me that a year ago i was the one asking for help and nervous and now its the other way around and im happy to help :) :) Just thank you so much guys i dont know what else to say but thank you

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Glad to read the good news! I'm so excited to get mine in. And I've seen the dirty dingos you were talking about, they looked weird lol. I just like being different I guess lol.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
Glad to hear you got it running!

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Its basically done guys thank you so much for all the feedback, the help, the compliments everything it means more to me than you guys realize. Im ready to LS swap the world now.
I put up a video of it running on my Youtube channel also. Its open headers no exhaust yet. Il put a link to the vid and a pic of the finished product.
Again thank you so much guys.
5.3malibudone.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Awesome. So nice to hear a happy ending and see a sweet finished product. Congrats, you should be proud!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Awesome. So nice to hear a happy ending and see a sweet finished product. Congrats, you should be proud!
Thank you so much man

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor