BUILD THREAD '79 Monte Carlo body-off restoration NL

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
If you're going to spend the money to get it shipped, you might as well get the most bang for your buck with a 383. A Qjet will work fine with a couple of metering rods and jets. Ignition system is basically the same.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
A re-gear would not be a bad idea either. That may give you more go for your euro until you can get a larger engine located.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

rednas

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2018
Holland
If you're going to spend the money to get it shipped, you might as well get the most bang for your buck with a 383. A Qjet will work fine with a couple of metering rods and jets. Ignition system is basically the same.
Well, I hope to find a decent engine locally. If I see what they charge in shipping for a small part I don't even dare to ask what shipping an engine would cost :p

rednas

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2018
Holland
A re-gear would not be a bad idea either. That may give you more go for your euro until you can get a larger engine located.
Thanks. As the car is out of order for a couple of years I'd rather invest time and money in a new engine in stead of a temporary option. But it would be a nice upgrade when I decide to keep the original engine. :thumbs:

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
There may be some engine builders in Europe that do small-block Chevys. I know there’s a huge American classics scene in Sweden. I think there may be some engine builders in the UK.

driver

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2013
Well i live in the netherland also and just buy my self a 350 tbi out of a 92 van and go to convert it from tbi to carb and hei ignition
Go to yank out all the smog stuff and computer
And put it in my 81cutty insead of the v6 ,now thats a slow engine.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I had a 79 Monte Carlo once that the previous owner had the 305 rebuilt with flattop pistons and a little hotter cam. Would not be fast by today's standards, but 15 years ago it was pretty snappy. Here in the US I have several 350's laying around I would not spend my money on a 305. You can make a 305 run pretty good, just depends on what you want it to do.

rednas

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2018
Holland
Well i live in the netherland also and just buy my self a 350 tbi out of a 92 van and go to convert it from tbi to carb and hei ignition
Go to yank out all the smog stuff and computer
And put it in my 81cutty insead of the v6 ,now thats a slow engine.
Sounds good.
I have been looking at these motors but there is quite a difference in HP throughout the years. Is this a corvette engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor