8.5 in rearend

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Got galled from the threads being messed up at the beginning.

Fix threads, anti-sieze in them and run the nut back and forth, it'll clean right up.

You do you man, some of us have fixed worse because that's what it takes sometimes. That one is nothing.

If I'm reading him correctly I believe there's damage that we're not seeing in that one particular photo, though everything you've said is tried and true, and I speak from experience. I've also spoken with doood on numerous occasions and I get the feeling that he's neither inept nor a frivolous buyer, so I'm inclined to believe him when he says it can't be saved. I'd like to see more photos of the damage but if he's like me then he doesn't want to answer questions right now, and it seems as though he has a solution in mind already.

Reactions: 3 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Got galled from the threads being messed up at the beginning.

Fix threads, anti-sieze in them and run the nut back and forth, it'll clean right up.

You do you man, some of us have fixed worse because that's what it takes sometimes. That one is nothing.
Damn front bearing came out so easy on tear down... literally dribbled out with the yoke. My references said you might need to knock pinion out with a hammer... maybe a 16# sledge more like it.

The lesson here is that you need a setup bearing for the outer pinion bearing also.

I hope you would admit that it's possible you don't know how buggered these threads are.... personally I don't want to quarter mile a $2500 rear axel depending on red locktight. I'll bust out another bill.

Reactions: 1 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020

Can only see what you post pics of.. 🤷‍♂️
Understood. The pic I posted was before I tried to run the nut down on it. When I ran the nut down on it without the yoke engaging the splines, I also messed up the splines with the socket and the ugga duggas. The pinion shaft is surprisingly ductile. It's a total loss. I kind of got manic when I had to beat on it so much. Sometimes when I get pissed off I can't think straight - do stupid stuff. I can prepare for weeks and then f up the execution.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Does this U-joint not have retaining clips?
20240214_173810.jpg
20240214_173806.jpg
20240214_174409.jpg
20240214_174409.jpg

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Another job for the torch...

Reactions: 1 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
If you have a good shop press theres no need for a torch. That's how I always did them. Pressure from the press shears the plastic cleanly in my experience.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor