8.5 in rearend

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I reamed-out a new bearing and measured 0.042" pinion spacer needed with the new pinon. So, I assembled using the original 0.038" pinion spacer, without crush sleeve or seal, using new outer bearing and new setup bearing. I had to use the yoke and impact wrench to pull the new inner bearing onto the new pinion. I gave it just a little ugga to bring the bearings into the races lubed with mineral oil. There is a little bit of turning resistance. I put the carrier in with the 0.248" driver side cast iron factory shim and a 0.222" shim pack on the passenger side and found the ring gear had no backlash and the assembly was difficult to turn due to interference. I figured I was way off, so I took the carrier out and put it back in with 0.230" shim pack on driver side and 0.240" shim pack on the passenger side and I have 0.011" of backlash measured at three locations around the ring (i.e. just out of spec). I'll take first pattern now with the backlash just out of spec.
20240212_131934.jpg
20240212_131716.jpg
20240212_131716.jpg

Attachments

• 20240212_131444.jpg
    20240212_131444.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Do you think I should use the 0.042" spacer that I measured with the pinion setting tool? I think the pattern is a bit high and could be centered more.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Do you think I should use the 0.042" spacer that I measured with the pinion setting tool? I think the pattern is a bit high and could be centered more.
Using a flattened copper pipe and a 4 lb hammer I was trying to smack the pinion out of the case and I deformed the first thread on opinion rendering it useless. That was not supposed to be a full press fit. I'm unable to install the nut with the half inch impact. It's ruined. So I think I'm going to put this whole effort down for a week and I guess I need a press after all... damn. On the bright side, ring and pinion only $99
20240212_141919.jpg

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Using a flattened copper pipe and a 4 lb hammer I was trying to smack the pinion out of the case and I deformed the first thread on opinion rendering it useless. That was not supposed to be a full press fit. I'm unable to install the nut with the half inch impact. It's ruined. So I think I'm going to put this whole effort down for a week and I guess I need a press after all... damn. On the bright side, ring and pinion only $99 View attachment 235002 .
you didn't leave the nut on the end when trying to smack it out?

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
you didn't leave the nut on the end when trying to smack it out?
No. I put a piece of copper on it and whaled on it. It's shot. I figured the nut would get pinched whaling on it. I started out with a brass punch and the 4lb hammer and that did nothing, then I put it on the cement, with a piece of cardboard under the pumpkin to catch the pinion when it fell, but I had to beat on it for like 50 hits. I took a piece of copper pipe and used it as a cushion. It didn't work.

I'll make a setup bearing out of this outer bearing for next go-around. I'm going to put it down for a while. Packing things away for now; come back to it in a month. Got lots of other things to work on.
20240212_150528.jpg

• Sad
  • Wow

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Leaving the nut on would have helped, but you're not dead in the water yet! Those threads can abe repaired by way of needle file or a "thread repair file" designed for these exact situations. You can absolutely save that.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Yea I'd be fixing the end of them threads all day.. that's nothing. Doood much have money to throw away..🤣

File, Dremel, even a grinder. Put a taper on it the nut goes down on the threads farther, just have to get it on there.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Yea I'd be fixing the end of them threads all day.. that's nothing. Doood much have money to throw away..🤣

File, Dremel, even a grinder. Put a taper on it the nut goes down on the threads farther, just have to get it on there.
The threads on the pinion are ruined. I ran the old nut down on them with the 1/2" ugga dugga and the whole thing got very hot and galled. You can't see it, but I put a dent in the flat on top of the threads. I'm not going to reuse this ring/pinion. I'd sooner use the old 3.73 that came with it. The new ring/pinion will be $99 + shipping. I'll wait until next month. I'll buy new ring/pinion and new outer bearing/race. I'll take this outer bearing that I beat on and ream it out to a slip fit when I come back to it next month.

I took the ring gear off the center section. I'll need new bolts there too.

1707770283374.png

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Got galled from the threads being messed up at the beginning.

Fix threads, anti-sieze in them and run the nut back and forth, it'll clean right up.

You do you man, some of us have fixed worse because that's what it takes sometimes. That one is nothing.

• Agree

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor