8.8 wheel fitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Do you know what that back space is on the Cobra 15x10s?
His are 18" Cobra rims, 15" x 10" rims do not fit well on a Gbody unless there is a frame notch so you can run more backspace and remember there is a fitment difference when comparing 18" wheels/tires to a 15" since the 18" has a shorter sidewall it also has much less section width and that is where 15" tires have rubbing issues.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Justinjames

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2018
Do the 15x8's clear a 275/60 on a body fairly easily? Like i said ill do it if i have to..

But its nice to have as much of a contact patch as possible, especially when there is no track prep, and you're limited to a 275 or 28x10.5..

Unfortunately i dont like back half cars and prefer to ride stock style suspension.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Unfortunately i dont like back half cars and prefer to ride stock style suspension.
Why not do a frame notch, it's just for tire clearance and doesn't change anything else.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I have 295/50/16 DR's on a 4h gen 16x8. Slight fender roll, i had to dent the frame rail a tad here and there to clear also. It is as big of a tire on a non notched frame G as I have seen.

Granted this is with a zr2 s10 8.6 rear but no spacers (actually 1/8 washers only on drivers side since I dont have adjustable uppers yet and the frames and axles dont sit totally concentric. But it will fit without any spacers as is once i straighten the rear left to right.

Off topic but hopefully it helps.

Attachments

• CAM03099.jpg
    CAM03099.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 173

Justinjames

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2018
Anyone ever tried to fit a hoosier qtp 26x11.5?

Should be the same as a true 26x10.5 slick or 275/50r15 drag radial would be but in a bias ply tire..

Justinjames

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2018
... Or just the 275/50r15. Smidge wider section width than the 60, but less sidewall and 2 inches shorter in comparison.. If sidewall is what creates the clearance issues- how about the shorter of the 275 options?

I really dont want to start notching into the frame at this time yet- if ever. Im not sure why.. It just bothers me on a stock suspension car.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
. I really dont want to start notching into the frame at this time yet- if ever. Im not sure why.. It just bothers me on a stock suspension car.
I am not sure why either since the notch has nothing to do with the suspension and no one will know it's there except you but I will say with my frame notch on 15" tires only I have ran as big as 295/65 M/T drag radials (30 x 12.5) on my 8.5' Convo Pros and also ran Hoosier Q/T Pros 29 x 11.50 on those rims and I am currently running 295/55R15 M/T drag radials on a 15' x 9.5" Convo Telstar rim with plenty of clearance everywhere (could go wider) and you can go even wider on tires if you upsize to a 17" or 18" rim with a notch.

Justinjames

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2018
I just dont want to get into messing with notching the frame if i do not have to. Hell i may never do it, or i may do it this year while things are going together should i find myself in postion to do so and NEED to do so.

The consensus seems to be 15x8 with proper backspacing and with a bfh, a 275/60 may just be do able while a 255/60 15 is certainly do able.

Im mostly out motored and out gunned overall in the class i will be competing in and giving up tire footprint isnt exactly beneficial unless i can use it to my advantage with less motor to get me going a big more violently out of the hole.

I guess we will see what i can come up with based on what ive gathered here. Stock suspension ftw

Justinjames

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2018
I just think without doing a proper/complete back half the rear frame structure would be significantly less stabile than had i not notched/cut into it. Support crossmember are going to be added regardless- just dont know how much stability i will retain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor