80 442 full powertrain swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelvin's80442

Greasemonkey
Apr 19, 2020
Ste Rose Manitoba
Should get a 4 speed backdrive rod to the column, too. The 3 speed rod can be lengthened, but doesn't work quite as good as a factory 4 speed rod.
Screenshot_20201209-221510_Chrome.jpg
This what I am looking for?
Thanks

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I assume the column rod is the same as the console rod? Westman Salvage should have one. If not, I will send you my column rod off my 88 Cutlass which is a factory TH2004R car. I am currently using the TCI Fastgate. For some reason, no matter the shifter, getting Park and Low is an ordeal on this car.

Reactions: 1 users

Kelvin's80442

Greasemonkey
Apr 19, 2020
Ste Rose Manitoba
I assume the column rod is the same as the console rod? Westman Salvage should have one. If not, I will send you my column rod off my 88 Cutlass which is a factory TH2004R car. I am currently using the TCI Fastgate. For some reason, no matter the shifter, getting Park and Low is an ordeal on this car.
Okay thanks

Kelvin's80442

Greasemonkey
Apr 19, 2020
Ste Rose Manitoba
Have been reading information on radiators, US Radiator are the ones that seem to fit best.

I do have a koolflow water pump, 3 or 4 row rad be sufficient?
Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I would go with a 4 core or a 2 core with 1" or larger tubes. Their 2 core aluminum will cool just as well as the Copper 4 core, save weight and some money.

• Agree

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
To ensure you don't have to go back in to replace your governor spring if you fling it out, you can pin it as olds307 and 403 mentioned. Once you get your governor settings/springs/etc., where you want it, there's a small hole on the small weight. You tap that hole with an 8/32" tap, and buy an 8/32" NYLON screw about 5/8" long or so at the hardware store. If it's too long, cut it to size. Use permatex motoseal #1 on the threads nearest the head of the screw to keep the screw from backing out, and snug it down through the spring. This will keep the spring in place as you hit 5500 RPM or so on the engine. Shouldn't have to counter for the virtually weightless nylon screw either. If your transmission guy is still working on it, have him do it. He should know what to do. He may even have a better method.

The cool part about 4R transmissions is, at least for the governor, you can make adjustments to the governor without tearing out the transmission guts again. That one little cover just drops down and as long as you don't tear up gaskets, you should be able to reuse them.

Apparently this trick has been used by the Turbo Buick crowd in some form or another for quite some time. This is just one option.

To install those Lightning Rods, you're going to need to cut your top section of the console under the shifter plate. Be careful in there and don't hack out too much. You'll need some area in there left in the corners to hold the top plate and other sundry items. The plate bolts to the console, not the shifter itself. Edit: Well, the front bracket, too. But technically, the shifter lives on the hump by itself. Alignment is critical or you'll get excessive rubbing.

GM p/n 10026214 is the transmission lever on the end of the range selector shaft on the transmission for the 4R with console shift. Hopefully you got that when you scored the BRF transmission. I cannot swear to it, but I believe it has a longer arm on the lever than the 3-speed unit. I do know it's a different part number. They're sort of unobtanium, so it's a luck of the draw to find one somewhere.

10021792 is the "other" part number for the 3 speed lever.

Free advice. Take it or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I used a metal screw to stake the small weight spring and ground the head right down. It adds weight, the nylon screw is a good idea if you are looking for over 5000 rpm shifts. Yes, the gasket holds up to multiple governor adjustments. Do you have a deep pan with a drain plug and a bottom feed filter? It can take a few adjustments to get your shifts just right. A drain plug makes it way less messy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor