Kelvin's80442

Greasemonkey
Apr 19, 2020
Ste Rose Manitoba
20220504_224035.jpg
20220504_224048.jpg

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I find a lot of the one wire alternators need revved up to start charging. Basically the circuit is completed through the charge light in the dash on regular 3 wire setup, try that. I also used a 4 gauge looped battery cable from Canadian Tire from the battery to big red battery terminal on the alternator.

Kelvin's80442

Greasemonkey
Apr 19, 2020
Ste Rose Manitoba
I find a lot of the one wire alternators need revved up to start charging. Basically the circuit is completed through the charge light in the dash on regular 3 wire setup, try that. I also used a 4 gauge looped battery cable from Canadian Tire from the battery to big red battery terminal on the alternator.
Yep I have 4 gauge looped from alternator to battery. The old is SI altenator and the new one is CS

Kelvin's80442

Greasemonkey
Apr 19, 2020
Ste Rose Manitoba
So do I have to hook up the 2 wire again?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
So do I have to hook up the 2 wire again?
It may not make any difference but it should also work as a regular alternator and hopefully charge better. Not a fan of the one wire alternators because of the rev it to charge design.

Kelvin's80442

Greasemonkey
Apr 19, 2020
Ste Rose Manitoba
It may not make any difference but it should also work as a regular alternator and hopefully charge better. Not a fan of the one wire alternators because of the rev it to charge design.
Well I ordered a pigtail that converts SI to CS alternator. Now with that, do I hook that back up to the starter or jump to the post on the alternator? Would that cause issues with the charging circuit both ways?

Kelvin's80442

Greasemonkey
Apr 19, 2020
Ste Rose Manitoba
Found a pigtail for a CS alternator. Was the one wire only so I added the second wire and jumped it to the battery post on the alternator. It's charging now but the guage says around 10 volts. I am hoping it's just the guage. Will pick up a tester and see. My oil pressure gauge doesn't work either. I have a new sending unit so that's not the issue.

Took her for a rip tonight on the highway, went for about 20 minutes. I am very impressed, hammer on her and the front end noses up. This is still the 273 gearing, I haven't put in the 8.5 342 posi. Will be interesting with the 342

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Correct, they interchange.

Was your assumption about the low voltage reading correct? Would it start after you got home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor