81 Bu Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

81Bu2Dr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 8, 2007
Shreveport LA
I just picked this up. All original 1 owner car. Literally a little old ladies car. 108K on it. Been babied it's entire life.
I expect to replace all the rubber stuff, but what a great find and the best part...$2500!!!!!!!!! I was looking for a wagon, and had one lined up, but the jerk sold it out from under me. Oh well, I found a better car for half the price!!! I'm stoked and can't wait to start this project. Simple drivetrain swap, and suspension/wheels. Don't want to ruin such a great car.
Jon
P1000178.jpg

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I'm Jealous! IMHO, the Malibu coupe is the best looking G body of them all. I love the roof line and how it slants back as opposed to the chopped off roof GM gave every other G body ( Aerocoupe and GP 2+2 excluded).

81Bu2Dr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 8, 2007
Shreveport LA
I really like the wagon, but the coupe does have some nice simple lines on it, really like the Elky's too.
Had a 85 GMC Caballero...should not have sold it.
This is going to be my daily driver, so comfort, reliability, and getting that "right" look/stance is the goal.
Will have a few things to sort out I'm sure, but that's expected in a car like this.
Jon

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
that is exactly what we just got ours is a 78 with 113,000 miles paid the same money too only big difference is that we have to do paint, well wouldnt' have to but we are nice lookin car though

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
Jon-

That is a VERY minty looking Malibu! Congrats on your purchase, you made a wise one.

Good move to not majorly molest that cherry original. Do things smartly that will add value to it, and not diminish it. Amd most of all drive it safely and have fun!

-Mark-

81Bu2Dr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 8, 2007
Shreveport LA
Uncletruck...

tell me about the drivability of the 229. wheezer? or decent? What kind of mileage you get with yours?

Thanks
Jon

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
The 229 is dependable (It's basically a SBC minus two cylinders), but definitely a wheezer. I think it's only rated 115 HP. The one in my wagon had a terrible part throttle flat spot in it when I got it. I figured rather than fuss with the computer feedback carb, I replaced the carb with a non computer version which remedied the flat spot and gave the engine a feeling of a little more power. Gas mileage with the 229 is in the 18 MPG range around town.

The 231 Buick V6 in my LeMans definitely takes reign over the Chevy 229 though. The 231 is quieter, gets better mileage, (about 20 in town) and holds an additional quart of oil. It also feels more powerful, despite it being only 110 HP. I think when the 229 in the wagon lets go, I'll put in a SBC. The 229 is OK, let me say tolerable- there are a lot worse engines out there, but moving up would definitely have its advantages.

-Mark-

81Bu2Dr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 8, 2007
Shreveport LA
you say the 229 is basically a sbc short of two cylinders....will all the brackets on the front of the motor bolt up to a 350 then?

Uncletruck, thanks for the info. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor