81 Bu Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

81Bu2Dr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 8, 2007
Shreveport LA
been researching this a bit....the 90 degree V6 started out as a 200, then 229, then ending up at 262. It's the same 90 degree block as the V8's just minus two cylinders (which we already know).
Now the other V6 (60 degree) is a completely different animal altogether. Nothing interchanges.
So as long as you got the 90 degree block (v6 or v8), it seems that brackets and such would interchange.
The flywheel does come into play here as the V6 is different to the v8, but that will only come into play if you are trying to mate up the stock transmission to a upgrade v8.
Still researching though...your thoughts on this????
Jon

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
Well, it really all depends on where the mounting bosses are on the engine that determines if the accessory brackets will swap between the engines. I had a '84 Pontiac Parisienne wagon that had a SB Chevy 305, and I can say without a doubt that the brackets were different between it and my '81 Malibu with the 229. The A/C compressor itself is a totally different animal.

The '81 Malibu with 229 has 4 bracket mounted accessories: Alternator, AIR pump, PS pump and A/C compressor. I think the alternator and AIR pump brackets are sort of integrated together remembering back to when I replaced my cam. A lot of guys SAY things like trannys, engines, etc directly swap, but I have never found that to be the case, especially if you want to keep your air conditioning and PS or AIR pump if you have to deal with emissions. There always ends up being something you have to fart around with or locate a bracket or two in order to get the swaps to work, and work properly. Building a flat out race car is easy if all you need is an alternator. Now if you actually want to DRIVE the car, it becomes more complicated.

I guess the old rule rings true if you want to swap in a SBC- find a complete engine that has all the accessories and brackets to start out with, I think it ends up saving a lot of time and energy.

-Mark-

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor