BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
The paint has nice depth, and like Scott said, it's super straight. The reflections are nice and clear. Very nice. I wouldn't be surprised if the car makes it's way into a few magazines.
Did I say I love the color?
Thanks Jack!, wait till I block it out and polish it, it'll be like glass. It flowed out some more after that video and pics, the orange peel is minute, so just that and some dust nibs to block out.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 4 users

Ed Vincent

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 20, 2017
Merry Christmas gbody forum!

I went in the garage last night and made the floor mount for the lightning rods. The stock mount would have worked, but I wanted the shifter back farther, and right on the floor. This does 2 things, makes it more comfortable for me to shift, and will allow me to keep the console a bit lower there. When I build the console it will all make sense.

The stock shifter plate only had 2 holes for retaining the shifter, kinda sloppy TBH, so this has 4 mounting bolts. I used 1/4-20 nuts welded on the back of the plate. I also made stand offs to mount the plate to the transmission tunnel. Then, used 1/4-20 rivet nuts in the tunnel. I now just have to blast and paint the mount, but just am happy with the result. You can see the shifter sits lower that the stock standoff for the plate.

View attachment 58406
View attachment 58407
View attachment 58408

The flash kinda has the color a little off, but you get the idea.

Here is the steering wheel I bought, should be on its way

View attachment 58409

And a few pics of the sides. The garage is real narrow, so getting good pictures is tough.

View attachment 58410

View attachment 58411

So, till next week...
What size wheels and tires are you using on your wagon?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
What size wheels and tires are you using on your wagon?
The rears are 17x10.5 or 11 with 315-35-17, and the fronts are 17x9 with a 245-45-17 (for now).

Last edited:

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
This thing is going to look badass when it is all done! That is the kind of car I could spend hours looking at. I enjoy big cars that are straight as an arrow and have nice body gaps. I like your engine combo too.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
This thing is going to look badass when it is all done! That is the kind of car I could spend hours looking at. I enjoy big cars that are straight as an arrow and have nice body gaps. I like your engine combo too.
Thank you!

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks for the vid Jim!
The color looks even better than in the pics. The guys have already said it all: outstanding work, lazer straight, and bad *ss color. My hat's off to you, that's a lot of real estate to get that straight and clean.
Well done sir, and congrats again!

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Thank you Donovan! You, like others on here, know what it's like to do sh*t twice or even three times till it's "right". Sometimes that's what it takes.:wax:

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Thank you Donovan! You, like others on here, know what it's like to do sh*t twice or even three times till it's "right". Sometimes that's what it takes.:wax:
Jim, I'm hurting inside with past paint snafus lol! I had to paint my stealth ram intake 3 times until i was happy....1st time i got one little run on a corner that pissed me off....sanded it down. 2nd time a little bug landed and stuck to the side before the paint dried-tried to remove it and fix quick to no avail!!! 3rd time was the charm and laid down a heluva paint job!
:blam:

Like you said, sometimes that's what it takes....i tend to be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to the cutlass. I don't wanna debut it to see something i shoulda taken more time and patience on because i felt rushed!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Small update, I went back at the trim, grills, headlight buckets, and plate pocket yesterday to finish prep and paint.

Final sanding the grills to 5 hours for the pair, using a combination of sanding sponges cut into slithers, paint sticks cut into different sizes with adhesive backed sandpaper, and my fingers. Tedious, but it worked. I covered everything in one coat of epoxy, the the 2k satin black.

The finish is what I was after, in no particular order here are some pictures.

IMG_20170128_190438.jpg

IMG_20170128_190444.jpg

Just a few pieces of trim.

IMG_20170128_190522.jpg

I put the new rubber bumpers in, and have a new plate light lense.

IMG_20170129_095259.jpg

IMG_20170129_095319.jpg

IMG_20170129_095341.jpg

I still have the wheel well trim to do, along with the vent window frames, hatch glass frame, and some other bits, but this was a bulk of it.

• Winner

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Looks killer Jim! Oh, the stupid amount of prep work all of us are putting into trim stuff is outrageous....but that's what it takes! I've enjoyed seeing all these parts get done....it's cold again in KY and having no garage, or making time to get to my brother in laws heated shop makes it tough to stand out in the cold prepping parts for black out or paint.

I spent a couple hours outside friday evening degreasing the blazer spindles and backing plates in prep for paint, and it sucked royally!

Excited to see the trim, grilles and such back on the wagon Jim, as I'm sure others are as well!

• Agree

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor