BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jim,
It will be nice to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I think as much work as we all put into our rides, we're never really finished. There's always upgrades we want to perform.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Jack, that is the truth, they are never done. But isn't that part of the hobby?

Well, the weather has been crappy here for a few days, and will be crappy for a few more. So I didn't get a whole lot done, other that try and clean up the garage a bit so I can find my sh*t.

I picked up a pair of aluminum bumper brackets. They are a bit short for my needs, but the price was right and I don't have to fab a pair up. I'll get some 1" ID aluminum tubing to extend them to where need.

IMG_20150603_091716.jpg

I also picked up an auto dimming mirror with temp and compass display, this was kinda on a whim. I really like the auto dimming feature in the newer vehicles, so this caught my eye. The downside is I have to add 2 more wire to my c100 bulkhead connector at the firewall for the temp sensor. Glad the car is not together yet.

IMG_20150603_091438.jpg

IMG_20150603_091451.jpg

I had to do some research to get the wiring/pin out for it, and figured I'll post it here so I don't lose it.

It is a Gentex GNTX-177

pin 1 = pink - 12vdc switched
pin 2 = black - ground
pin 3 = light green - back up light trigger (+)
pin 4 = grey - auto dimming side mirror (not used)
pin 5 = pink - auto dimming side mirror (not used)
pin 6 = dark green/black - temp sensor
pin 7 = brown - temp sensor

The temp sensor part number is 15047946
The temp sensor plug with 12" wire is 12101856

The sensor and pigtail can be had on Amazon for cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Started fitting stuff to the aluminum radiator support. The weather has been crappy, so no front bumper work yesterday.

IMG_20150603_155039.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jim,
I always thought those mirrors were cool. I should have considered one before I put the headliner and garnish molding back on. :confused:

Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Jim,
I always thought those mirrors were cool. I should have considered one before I put the headliner and garnish molding back on. :confused:
Jack, I wasn't going to use one at first. I have a mirror with map lights in there now. But after driving the Denali around, I absolutely love the auto-dim feature, the temp feature is a plus also. So, I have to add 2 wires to the fuse box plug (c100) for the temp sensor. But the way I look at it, I am glad I am doing it now and not after the interior is in. Just like you said!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Blake, if I was further along in the build I don't think I would be doing it.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Is the GNTX-177 on the outside of the housing somewhere, or do you know from looking it up? I may do this upgrade myself since I happen to have mine blown apart as well. Was that the only style auto dim GM used? I think I said this already, but loving the build by the way.

Hutch

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Is the GNTX-177 on the outside of the housing somewhere, or do you know from looking it up? I may do this upgrade myself since I happen to have mine blown apart as well. Was that the only style auto dim GM used? I think I said this already, but loving the build by the way.

Hutch

Hutch,
The GNTX-177 is on the rear of the housing. The letters/numbers are raised just a but but you can see them. GM used multiple different styles, there a few different types on eBay also. I can never find one at my two local pick-a-parts, so I just bought one from a board member over on Malibu Racing.

Thanks for the compliments on the build. It'll be in paint this summer.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Never commented before... but I am a big fan of this build. Keep it up!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor