81 Monte Carlo smog/ECM delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ever Rojas

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2016
So I have an 81 MC 3.8L 229, I installed headers with x pipe to dual exhaust and also am going to install Edelbrock performer series Intake/carb which are non-egr. So obviously I would have to delete the smog components and ECM right? Do I have to delete the charcoal canister? And since I'm deleting the ECM what do I need to do with my distributor?

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
You will have to change the distributor also. Don't pull the vapor canister unless you like the smell of gas fume under the hood also.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you seem to doing alot of work and spending money on a stock 3.8. I'm not sure you are going to gain alot from the modifications and I have read that the 3.8 runs better left stock if no upgrades on the engine is done.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Ever Rojas

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2016
you seem to doing alot of work and spending money on a stock 3.8. I'm not sure you are going to gain alot from the modifications and I have read that the 3.8 runs better left stock if no upgrades on the engine is done.
What would u recommend if I want to gain more performance?

Ever Rojas

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2016
I would start with another engine like a Chevy 350 unless you have a reason you want to stick with the 3.8
The only reason I didn't want to was to save gas with a V6, and I thought I would still gain HP by swapping out some parts for performance parts like exhaust, intake and camshaft.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
what was the gas milage in you 3.8? And how much $$ are you putting into the 3.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor