'83 Olds Cutlass Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

streetrod

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2015
Toronto
Looks like the LS and TH350 will be getting dropped in sometime this week! I decided to let a friend pull the 3.8/t350 and drop in the LS4.8/th350 to save myself some time. Then I can still have some fun installing the top end items and wiring it up, drop the tank and plumb the new fuel system and drain the old fuel out, and hopefully she'll be running by next weekend!
Then, it's off to the exhaust shop where I will install a single 3" system with a Dynomax Ultra Flow muffler and lastly I will address my crusty rear brake backing plates..... Either bite the bullet and get all the 8.8 swap parts in or replace the backing plates and run the weak 7.5 for now......

streetrod

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2015
Toronto
Oh yeah, almost forgot! I just ordered both front spindles/brakes from the nearest yard off of a 99 2wd S10 to get my brake upgrade under way too. Not a bad deal at $120! Figure I'll probably toss on some new bearings, pads and rotors although I do eventually want to do the F-body LS front caliper upgrade. But I really like my old school 15's, maybe I'll have to do rear discs for some better stopping ability.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You won't be disappointed with the Blazer brake upgrade. I can vouch for that. You will like 'em.
Keep us up to date on the LS swap. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

streetrod

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2015
Toronto
You won't be disappointed with the Blazer brake upgrade. I can vouch for that. You will like 'em.
Keep us up to date on the LS swap. Good luck!
That's great to hear! I think my master cylinder might be shot, haven't had a chance to diagnose it yet. If I need to change it, I'd rather upgrade. Got any suggestions??

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That's great to hear! I think my master cylinder might be shot, haven't had a chance to diagnose it yet. If I need to change it, I'd rather upgrade. Got any suggestions??
I personally can't recommend a master cylinder upgrade, but I remember hearing about using a B-body master. Hopefully someone will chime in and clarify that.
I'm just using a standard G-body iron master cylinder with a new dual diaphragm brake booster.

streetrod

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2015
Toronto
I personally can't recommend a master cylinder upgrade, but I remember hearing about using a B-body master. Hopefully someone will chime in and clarify that.
I'm just using a standard G-body iron master cylinder with a new dual diaphragm brake booster.
I've read up a little about the B-body master, but there is conflicting info. I plan on replacing the master and just want to make sure I get the right part the first time! More than anything I'm just excited to finally make progress on this thing and want to round up all the parts before I start taking anything apart.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've read up a little about the B-body master, but there is conflicting info. I plan on replacing the master and just want to make sure I get the right part the first time! More than anything I'm just excited to finally make progress on this thing and want to round up all the parts before I start taking anything apart.
Rounding up the parts in preparation is always a good plan. You seem to be going about it the right way. Keep up the good work!

streetrod

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2015
Toronto
So, I missed my last opportunity to get the wagon in the shop and have the 4.8/TH350 swapped in. However, apparently next weekend my buddy may have time to do the swap.
Same guy also hooked me up with a running, but oil leaking '05 5.3 for only $50!! Gonna put that to the side and build it properly for next year. Now, I'm just trying to focus on getting the wagon up and running. I also took advantage of some Christmas/black friday sales and picked up a welder and air compressor. Will update with pics soon!!

streetrod

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2015
Toronto
A whole month later..... The engine and trans are in!!

Out with the old:
IMG_6681_zpsd8n5irai.jpg

IMG_6682_zpslzzev966.jpg

In with the new:
IMG_6684_zpsyfufgnt1.jpg

Not quite a 5.0, just wanted to see if it would clear the hood
IMG_6685_zpsdwjgvkh4.jpg

IMG_6688_zpsy63zibeb.jpg

IMG_6693_zps82qfliah.jpg

Gotta finish draining the old fuel, running new fuel lines and installing the electric pump, wire up the MSD, install the rad and transmission lines then figure something out for exhaust. But I hope to have it running by early March. I'm pretty excited to see it move under it's own power!

One thing I did notice is that the driveshaft is now just a bit too short. It still goes in but it isn't in the tailshaft far enough. Are there different length driveshafts within our G-body family that may be .75" or so longer than what came in my BOP 3.8/TH350 combo?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Just seeing this thread. Looking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor