New Alternator Issues

Mlong155

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2023
I recently purchased a new alternator for my 1982 Cutlass Supreme. My car came original with the 6 cylinder and the previous owner swapped in an Olds 307. After installing the new alternator I noticed my battery light was on in the dash cluster. Even when the car is not running and keys are in my pocket the light remains on. When the car is running I am getting 13-14 volts on my gauge and the light is not on. I also noticed that the alternator is very hot to the touch when running. I went out to move the car out of the garage yesterday and the battery was dead. I am at a loss on what could be causing this issue, so I will now turn to the Gbody community for help. Any ideas? Thanks in advance fellas!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
There are diodes in the alternator (wrapped up in a diode trio and aluminum cooling fins) that keeps that from happening. It blocks the battery voltage TO the alternator so the current only flows to the battery to charge it when the car runs. If the diodes(s) fail, the battery current can go from the battery to the alternator. This is likely what's killing your battery. It's hot to the touch because it's turning battery power into heat. It's acting as a load.

The regulator has transistors in it and diodes, and when bad, they can cause funky problems as well. Although in this case, if I HAD to bet on something, I'm thinking you got one or more leaky rectifier diodes. JMO, but I'm not a wire biter, so you better get a second opinion. Hopefully, someone here can come rescue me if I explain something poorly or incorrectly.

I hope you didn't get a Bosch rebuilt alternator. They suck donkey balls. Unless it's an injector, or a Bosch OEM part for a particular car, I'd run away from it. They suck at making parts for a G-body.

At least check this alternator out. You could put another alternator on it. Or get new diodes for the current one.

Get more info from automotive electrician folks. Don't go just by what I'm saying and just start throwing money at it. But doing an alternator check is where I'd start.

This is how I would check to see if your diodes are all ok. This may not give you everything you need to diagnose the problem completely, but it could narrow things down. In other words, if it passes the diode check, it still doesn't mean your regulator or other pieces parts aren't bad.

Turn car off, keys out, remove the positive battery terminal on the battery, and then take a multimeter with a diode setting and put the red lead on the battery post of the alternator and the other to the casing. Take a reading. You should see OL (nothing), or a very very low number of millivolts. Diodes can leak a very little bit, but they shouldn't let the dogs out. Then swap the lead positions to the other way. You should see a marked increase in the number. If this happens, the diodes could be considered good. If not, at least one diode is having problems.

Another way, is run the car and put a load on the battery, like headlights or if you have a hi-amp stereo, turn that on. Put your multimeter to AC volts, and run the red + lead of the meter to the "BAT" post on the alternator. Connect the black lead to the negative post of the battery. If you get anything more than 1.5 VAC, your diode(s) are toast.

To test the regulator on the car when running, measure the voltage at the battery and keep it there. May have to use the clamp accessory for the meter for this. Stick a small screwdriver or metal allen key into the D shaped hole in the back of the alternator. You want to ground the brush tab in there to the side of the D hole. This fully grounds the field, which the regulator usually controls, to give you max field output. So effectively, you're going around the regulator. Don't bypass the regulator for very long, just enough to see if it's bad. If you see the voltage increasing, the regulator is bad.
1690812537158.png

Unfortunately, no OBD1 scan tool on earth will find a diode problem. It's going to be good ol' fashioned electrical gremlin hunting with an ammeter and voltage meter. For these parts I mentioned, there are no repair procedures or replacement pieces that Joe Shadetree can fix on these. You have to replace the component part if any part of it is bad, period.

If it's the diode trio, and you have a stock 78 amp 12SI alternator, then the GM part number is 1984459. (or aftermarket equivalent). They're fairly cheap, and while you're in there, not a bad idea to replace it.

1690807320941.png

If it's the diode rectifier section, then the GM part number is 1984454. (or aftermarket equivalent)

1690807270033.png

If it's the regulator, then you will need to get GM part number 1116423. (or aftermarket equivalent).

1690808616334.png

I'll defer to the automotive electronics gurus here. Come and save me.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Unfortunately as said, reman alternators can be very hit or miss. I got a 94 amp 12SI replacement that was garbage, needed revving and failed bearings. It replaced the 2 year old AC Delco reman CS130 in my 88 Cutlass that died. My chrome high amperage 10SI alternators got ridiculously hot on my 88 Cutlass. I also just got 4 years out of a new Remy CS130 alternator, even all new don't last.

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Alternators need a lot of cooling, good grounding, correct belt tension, and good mounting support. If you don't have all 4 you will have issues.

Reactions: 1 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I recently purchased a new.....

Recently purchased ... "New" being the operative word. Return it, it's bad.

The lamp light on when not running is a circuit fault. It should not be doing that.

13 to 14 while running is too low. If this is at idle ... It's expected. Don't test output at idle it's a big reason for misdiagnosis. 14.2 to 14.7 while running "cruising" above 1500 rpm. Generally around 14.4 is good. Charging above 15.5 and regulator is bad.

And it's getting hot which is also wrong.

Basically you got a bad one.

Most AutoZone, NAPA and O'Reilly will test it. Yet many of their countermen don't really know how to use the tester properly.

When the diodes go out in the rectifier bridge this will send an AC ripple current back to the battery. Can't see this on a VOM unit. You will need an oscilloscope. This ripple current at or about 1.2 - 1.8 volts over time will damage battery and it will not fully charge.

Unless you want to get into Alternator repair... take the bad one back and use the return credit to get a better one.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Power Master. 14.5 Volts at idle. comes alive below 1000 rpm which is otherwise something of a threshold for when "stock" alternators usually self actuate. Used to use Delcos but they always seemed to show low volts, 12.5 or so, at start up, and a full load, lights radio, HVAC, with the car just idling, and the needle on the volt gauge would head for the sewer. Got tired of having to throw the battery on charge when the car was parked just to keep the battery happy.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Yep Delco puts it out as 1500 but reality comes on sooner. 1000 to 1200 is closer to reality. But discussions on alternator and brakes always brings out the "experts" jumping on your back. I went through and certified with the Delco Course but several years years years ago.

The bigger issue is quality control has really slipped to what used to be an every day thing.

A few years back on a show truck, but not a total trailer queen, went through 3 units until finally got a good one that was stable.

Your right about the Delcos at idle and low RPM. Same issues in F-body Firebird.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor