83MONTESS 496/8.5 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Well I got the new aluminum pan on and filled it with fluid and so far no leaks. Been 4 days now and not a single drop. I used rtv on the pan with a cork gasket. I also filled the engine with Brad Penn and primed it. I managed to get 41 psi of oil pressure with just a battery powered drill after I pumped 4 quarts on the floor because I left out a plug near the oil filter. I thought it was a blind hole used for the z bar mount but I was wrong. Luckily my dad had some oil from his break in so I have just over 7 quarts in. Should be able to fire it up by the weekend! I have never been more nervous in my life right now!!!

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
GBodyscuffle said:
Sounds like the monte is doing well lol keep us updated bro. When ever im looking for your postes i look for dimebag darrel lol.
Yea Dimebag=god :lol:

Well the Monte is officially breathing new life. Got her fired up today and got about 17 minutes of run time on it at 2-2500 rpm before it started getting a little too warm for my liking. I think im a tooth off on the distributor because it randomly backfires out of the carb at lower rpms. It smokes a lot, im hoping thats the rings not being seated yet. I had about 3/4 of a tank of 93 octane and I topped it off with 110 race fuel. My whole house smells like a track now 8) Tomarow I will mess with the timing a little more.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Also can anyone give me an idea on what oil pressure I should see? Im using Brad Penn 5/30 break in oil, a stock volume pump with the higher pressure "blue" spring and its reading around 40-45 psi warmed up at 2,000ish rpm. It reads about 60 psi cold. Maybe im just paranoid but does this sound right?

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
-83MONTESS- said:
...got about 17 minutes of run time on it at 2-2500 rpm before it started getting a little too warm for my liking.

Always a good idea to put a box fan or two in front of the car when doing a break-in. The more air flow the better.
New motors get warm, and being stationary it doesn't matter how great your electric or mechanical fans are... they're gonna need some help.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Blake442 said:
-83MONTESS- said:
...got about 17 minutes of run time on it at 2-2500 rpm before it started getting a little too warm for my liking.

Always a good idea to put a box fan or two in front of the car when doing a break-in. The more air flow the better.
New motors get warm, and being stationary it doesn't matter how great your electric or mechanical fans are... they're gonna need some help.
Yea I didn't realize that I forgot the fans until the engine was running. I didn't want to run back inside for the fans while it was running unless something happened. It got to about 225* and thats with the temp sender in the cylinder head so it may have been reading high. We used 2 box fans when breaking in my dad's aluminum headed Olds and ironically it got hotter way quicker than my all iron BBC.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Been awhile since I updated this. Since my last update I have finished the solid body mount install and completely over hauled the fuel system.

For fuel system I went with a Holley Blue pump with adjustable bypass regulator. I pulled the tank to replace the left rear frame rail and when I pulled the tank I realized how bad it was. There were 2 small holes on the top of the tank so it was done. That got me looking around for a fuel cell and I happened to stumble across a guy that makes aluminum fuel cells cheap local so I picked up a 15 gallon cell. I made the mounts out of angle iron and flat stock.

I mounted the fuel filter and fuel pump along the side of the spare tire well for now.
20150402_025650.jpeg

I made a bracket for the fuel pressure regulator to mount on the front of the engine.
20150402_025802.jpeg

I mounted my fuel pressure gauge on the hood, not sure how I feel about it but it will do for now.
20150402_025741.jpeg

I ordered some tinted headlight covers to try out a new look and I gotta admit I really dig em. I shouldn't have any issues with seeing at night with the HID conversion.
20150402_025716.jpeg

I also played around with some pin striping tape and added a red stripe around the wheel lip. Hopefully going to be painting it soon.
20150402_025611.jpeg

Im trying not to dive into anything else because its finally getting nice out so that means I CAN DRIVE IT FINALLY!!!!

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You mentioned HID's in your post, have you done them yet? If you have, any chance you can provide some feedback on them (who you used, quality, price, etc)?
I've got a set of Celebrity composites coming from LAXrated, and want to run HID's in 'em. Problem is, there's about a gazillion different mfg's out there, and I don't know where to start. Hit me back with a PM if you don't want to muddy up your thread.

Car looks sweet, btw, nice job!
Hope you isolated the heck out of the Holley blue tho, I ran one in mine for a while and the noise drove me nuts. Switched to a Mallory Comp 140 after that, n never looked back.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
You mentioned HID's in your post, have you done them yet? If you have, any chance you can provide some feedback on them (who you used, quality, price, etc)?
I've got a set of Celebrity composites coming from LAXrated, and want to run HID's in 'em. Problem is, there's about a gazillion different mfg's out there, and I don't know where to start. Hit me back with a PM if you don't want to muddy up your thread.

Car looks sweet, btw, nice job!
Hope you isolated the heck out of the Holley blue tho, I ran one in mine for a while and the noise drove me nuts. Switched to a Mallory Comp 140 after that, n never looked back.
Thanks. The HIDs were from ebay. I got the complete kit minus the relay kit for around $100. The install was easy I just had to buy a $20 relay kit after realizing that it didn't have one. It all works flawlessly and looks good. I know some people say that the eBay kits are junk but honestly the quality is pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor