83MONTESS 496/8.5 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I figured since I finally got the car into the garage to start work I would start a build thread to catch it all. Plans for this build are:

496 stroker swap, engine has been done for a few months just waiting for the right time to swap
rebuild the TH400 to hold the extra power
hydroboost swap
HID headlight swap
2"drop spindles and Speedway tubular uppers
relocate battery to trunk
and all the little things that go along with that

So far I have swapped in a GN 8.5 with Powerttrax locker and 3.42s. Also added tubular UMI upper and lower control arms and control arm braces
8.5 swap by bwollens1983, on Flickr
Rebuilt the rear brakes and added manual S10 wheel cylinders with cylinder brackets
rebuilt brakes by bwollens1983, on Flickr
And the biggest project so far, the dash and console. I made both the dash panel and console plate out of .080" aluminum and nothing more than a drill and jigsaw. I was going to go with a brushed aluminum finish but I couldnt get a consistent finish so I wrapped it in carbon fiber wrap. Im glad I did!
dash and console aluminum by bwollens1983, on Flickr
new dash and console by bwollens1983, on Flickr

Much more to come! I will post pics of the new engine soon.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
The new 496. I built this myself over the winter. Just looking for a fun street car nothing too crazy right now. Specs:

78 dump truck 454 2 bolt main block with 4.310" bore
049 iron heads with 2.19" intake and 1.88" exhaust valves
full roller 1.72:1 steel roller rockers
Comp Cam XE284 flat tappet cam with matching lifters and springs
Scat 4.25" crank with Scat H-beam rods
Probe 18cc dome pistons
Cloyes double roller timing set
Air Gap intake
High flow aluminum water pump
Holley fuel pump
Hooker 2" 2455 headers
ARP main studs
every single bolt in the engine is from ARP including rocker studs
big block 1 by bwollens1983, on Flickr
new engine 1 by bwollens1983, on Flickr
new engine 3 by bwollens1983, on Flickr
new engine 2 by bwollens1983, on Flickr
I know the air cleaner decal is probably a little optimistic but I got it cheap :lol:

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
I always wondered how your engine build would turn out. I figured you would wind up putting together a well built combo. Everything seems well matched and it should be a real fun street car. 550 HP might be optimistic but your tires might say 550 ft-lbs isn't. 8)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It looks great and it must have 550 HP, the sticker does not lie.. :mrgreen:

I like the valve covers but a 7 quart oil change will take some time filling it up using the small opening for the pcv, I did that once and then opened a hole for a oil cap

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
pontiacgp said:
It looks great and it must have 550 HP, the sticker does not lie.. :mrgreen:

I like the valve covers but a 7 quart oil change will take some time filling it up using the small opening for the pcv, I did that once and then opened a hole for a oil cap
It will probably be closer to 7.5 qts since im running a remote oil filter kit behind the driver's headlight :lol: Its funny because that oil pan with the zinc coating started to rust sitting on the stand so I had to blast it and paint it. Thats what I get for buying a cheap pan. I will be sure to post progress as I go.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Oh and I almost forgot, does that rear sway bar look familiar pontiacgp? Thats from an 80s fbody I took and modified with a torch awhile ago to fit.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
-83MONTESS- said:
Oh and I almost forgot, does that rear sway bar look familiar pontiacgp? Thats from an 80s fbody I took and modified with a torch awhile ago to fit.

Now that you mention it sure does except you made it look alot better with the paint. I thought it was an aftermarket one with that sticker.. :)

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
pontiacgp said:
-83MONTESS- said:

Now that you mention it sure does except you made it look alot better with the paint. I thought it was an aftermarket one with that sticker.. :)
Yea I figured since I have UMI control arms and braces I would throw some free advertisement their way :lol:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I just noticed you run the coolant lines from the back of the heads...not many do that but it's a good idea to keep the temps even..

13750608693_efd7022f84_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor