84 buick regal limited swap 383 stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.

natters84regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2011
Kansas city,Kansas The Dotte
i have just priced a 350 73 vette block 010 im plan now is to put a rotating assmblily kit and then to the machine shop so bored cleaned and frezze plugs $850 for that .... but im at the point to now that i cant decied what to do with the heads and more the top end want 202 heads but i thank theres a better way to good i hope lol but on the transmission thing i cant decied for a 350 or 400 so if anyone can please shot a couple got ideas thanks

vic84supersport

Apprentice
Feb 2, 2011
PHoenix
natters84regal said:
i have just priced a 350 73 vette block 010 im plan now is to put a rotating assmblily kit and then to the machine shop so bored cleaned and frezze plugs $850 for that .... but im at the point to now that i cant decied what to do with the heads and more the top end want 202 heads but i thank theres a better way to good i hope lol but on the transmission thing i cant decied for a 350 or 400 so if anyone can please shot a couple got ideas thanks

850 thats good, does that include an aligne hone, bake and blast and magnaflux block? as far as head if i had the money id go with aluminum heads, i went with vortec heads

natters84regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2011
ya complete machined .... but the thing is wat. I go with the vortex and get them seated for 202 values ? or would u know a set of stock heads that i could get port to 202 values that come on say i truck or van u know what i mean

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
So how much power are you looking for? how many rpm you planning on turning? what gears are you running? what exactly are you doing with the engine, will it be a street motor or street/strip? We can give you better advice on your build up with a little more info.

natters84regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2011
im going for more a weekend warior so more street. im wanting about 550hp or more. looking to put a good gear i was thanking 3.73 but maybe a 4.10 and for transmission thanking 350 but i got little bit of high to do so thanking 400 transmission and for the top end not sure all the way

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
550 horsepower is a lot out of a small block... If you're serious about making that kind of power, you're gonna need some better heads than Vortecs for that. And a pretty serious cam and compression ratio. Without nitrous or a blower I doubt there's anyone that has a legitimate 550 horse small block with stock Vortecs on it. Get some good after market aluminum heads I don't know which ones are the best... But I think it's fair to say that any brand like AFR, Brodix, Dart, TrickFlow, are going to blow Vortecs out of the water. Most Vortec builds are budget builds 350-400 horsepower, they don't like high lift without being machined for bigger springs (they say .480 max but I've heard some people have run up to .525) and the valve seal thinger (sorry my mind isn't working well today :lol: ) and from flow charts I've seen there's not much to be gained running a cam bigger than .500 lift on Vortecs anyway. They're not gonna make 550 hp without being ported pretty extensively... No production small block head will.

vic84supersport

Apprentice
Feb 2, 2011
PHoenix
natters84regal said:
ya complete machined .... but the thing is wat. I go with the vortex and get them seated for 202 values ? or would u know a set of stock heads that i could get port to 202 values that come on say i truck or van u know what i mean

thats a good price for it all bro.....and as a matter of fact they say 87 up heads with this casting number has 202 values, 14102193...i believe thats the correct number....id have to double check, its wat i have on my 350 the guy i got it from told me they were 202, because i wanted to replace em with vortec heads, but he recommened keepin these

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
Yep 550 hp is asking a lot, but it is possible, it'll just take a lot of money. First you're gonna need a forged bottom end to handle the power, unless you want to gamble on the limits of a cast bottom. Most manufacturers rate their cast bottoms at 500 hp, but maybe it will make it. Probably around 11-1 compression or so. Next your gonna need a big *ss and pretty wild cam, solid roller or hydraulic roller would be the way to go. Then a serious set of heads in the 210cc-230cc range, something that flows upper 200's cfm almost 300 cfm. Then a good sized single plane intake and at least 1 3/4" headers, plus a large carb (probably in the upper 700 cfms to lower 800 cfms)

As far as the trans 350's can be built to hold that easy, but like everything it just costs money, also plan on running a 3500-4000 converter too. And don't forget about a damn good cooling system for the motor and trans.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all, because it is possible. As I read back on what I've typed I sound to myself like I'm being a little discouraging and I'm not trying to do that at all. I'm saying all of this because it took me a lot of money to build my 406, and I mean a lot to make the 602 hp that it dynoed. My engine is boarder line streetable by some peoples standards, but not to me, it runs a 4000 converter also and all of the things I mentioned above so I know it can be done. Best of luck on the build and we're all here to help with advice and encouragement, just remember the saying "Speed costs money... How fast do you wanna go?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor