1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

84 Buick Regal new to forum / new project

Discussion in 'Buick Regal / T-Type / Grand National / GNX' started by Daca214, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Daca214

Daca214 Not-quite-so-new-guy

whats up everybody. new to G Body forum. wanted to post some pics of the new 84 regal I picked up for my son. i am teaching him how to work on it himself as we go along (he's 16)
    i picked the car up for $300. sold the hydraulics already and I am selling the wheels and tires that were on it. so basically got car for free.

these pics are early on. we have since completely rebuilt drums in rear and totally removed front suspension. replacing with Moog stuff. and Powerstop brakes, cross drilled rotors, and powder coated calibers.

it has a 307 Olds engine (i believe, the engine is stamped 3161 5.0) not sure what year it is. the guy kind rigged alot of stuff

hope to make good progress

i have my son grinding rust, using Rust-Mort on frame (great stuff) and then painting with POR-15. (no pics of that yet).

IMG_4175 (3).jpg pic 1.jpg pic 2.jpg pic 3.jpg pic 4.jpg pic 5.jpg pic 6.jpg pic 7.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  2. lilbowtie

lilbowtie Royal Smart Person

Welcome - Looks like you picked up a beautiful car. Not too many kids interested in those old ugly cars.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MrSony

MrSony Comic Book Super Hero

She's purdy. Nice on the 307, 350 olds swaps right in place (or 455, 403, etc), you got the V8 shroud and radiator hold down plate as well.

#3 MrSony, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Daca214

Thanks. Im thinking about that upgrade for the future

• Like Like x 1
  5. MrSony

MrSony Comic Book Super Hero

Olds 350, Th200r4, 3.42s-3.72s. Can't go wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DRIVEN

DRIVEN Comic Book Super Hero

Looks like a nice solid car to start with.

7. kustomkyle

kustomkyle G-Body Guru

Very nice color combination. Other than a lot of mechanical elbow grease, it doesn't look like it needs much cosmetic work. Great deal for only $300.

The 307 Olds is a decent engine as long as it's not completely worn out.

If it's going to be the son's car, it's a good engine to start out driving with. You can put dual exhaust on and have a V8 rumble, but it won't be too powerful to incite trouble.

8. Daca214

thanks, yeah it already has dual exhaust and to my surprise it started right up (sat for over 4 years at a self storage) sounds pretty good. i plan on extending the pipes because the guy cut they literally right on top of rear end! lol
    other than minor things, like new valve cover gaskets, trans pan gasket and radiator, the drivetrain is pretty good.
    all new suspension and brakes going in.

9. Daca214

So havent done anything worthy of pictures yet, just some rust removal, etc...but man, we got hit with a case of the "might as wells" and this project looks like it will be longer and more expensive than I thought!! :)

oh well Im having fun.

on another notes, for the interior floor pan, I experimented with that black gloss flex seal after we removed the rust and neutralized with Rust-Mort and it looks really good. bonus is its waterproof dont know if anybody else has used that yet but just thought I would share!

• Creative Creative x 1