84 Buick Regal wiring diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbodylife

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 30, 2022
Okay let me just make sure I understand this properly before I go try to start it tonight. If I run the purple and two reds to starter solenoid , pink to dizzy , power from battery to starter and ground from battery to block I should be able to fire it up?
Also I assume I have dummy lights ? From these photos best I could get

Attachments

• BD06DCFD-D9ED-4DB5-B05B-C3D15EE9FC5C.jpeg
    BD06DCFD-D9ED-4DB5-B05B-C3D15EE9FC5C.jpeg
    889.7 KB · Views: 107

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Okay let me just make sure I understand this properly before I go try to start it tonight. If I run the purple and two reds to starter solenoid , pink to dizzy , power from battery to starter and ground from battery to block I should be able to fire it up?
No.

The two reds need to go to the starter 12v+ post - it's the same post that the battery cable attaches to. Then the purple wire needs to go onto the small terminal on the starter.

You're correct about the pink on the dizzy. Regarding the battery ground, be sure that the body and frame are grounded to the engine or battery as well - they can be a smaller wire such as a 10 or 12 gauge ad they are generally referred to as chassis grounds. Beware of the wire the alternator charge wire - it will be hot when you hook up the battery and will be sparking and arcing if it contacts a ground - it would be best to either hook it up or wrap the end in tape.

I would start there to see if the motor starts and runs as designed.

Gbodylife

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 30, 2022
No.

The two reds need to go to the starter 12v+ post - it's the same post that the battery cable attaches to. Then the purple wire needs to go onto the small terminal on the starter.

You're correct about the pink on the dizzy. Regarding the battery ground, be sure that the body and frame are grounded to the engine or battery as well - they can be a smaller wire such as a 10 or 12 gauge ad they are generally referred to as chassis grounds. Beware of the wire the alternator charge wire - it will be hot when you hook up the battery and will be sparking and arcing if it contacts a ground - it would be best to either hook it up or wrap the end in tape.

I would start there to see if the motor starts and runs as designed.
Okay perfect got all that down I think as far as the alternator goes you said you need to know which style I have and I will get back to you tonight as far as that goes ! For the alt plug that has the one cut or broken red wire , am I correct in thinking that I can splice into that broken red wire and run it to either the battery or the battery post on starter ? Thanks in advance all your help is greatly appreciated

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Okay perfect got all that down I think as far as the alternator goes you said you need to know which style I have and I will get back to you tonight as far as that goes ! For the alt plug that has the one cut or broken red wire , am I correct in thinking that I can splice into that broken red wire and run it to either the battery or the battery post on starter ? Thanks in advance all your help is greatly appreciated
Not sure which wire you're referencing.

I would prefer to know what alternator you have and wire it accordingly. Or at least pull the cut off end out of the loom to see where it is spliced into - that would answer several questions.

Gbodylife

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 30, 2022

I would prefer to know what alternator you have and wire it accordingly. Or at least pull the cut off end out of the loom to see where it is spliced into - that would answer several questions.

The one on this photo labeled alt has the two wires in the plug but the red cut a few inches back no biggie I’ll send you what I have for alt after work and go from there! Also I can’t find my tach wire still anywhere that people have told me to look but I’ll search again and I did figure out only gauge I have is speedo the rest are dummy lights listed in second pic

Attachments

• 91DBD506-AE0E-4F5E-A06F-3CCD7AA0CB90.png
    91DBD506-AE0E-4F5E-A06F-3CCD7AA0CB90.png
    449 KB · Views: 111
  • A935AE4E-6FFE-4C50-866F-57609FD58F1C.jpeg
    A935AE4E-6FFE-4C50-866F-57609FD58F1C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 117

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That red wire is not the charging wire for the alternator. Take a pic of your alternator or supply a part number.

350Regal

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2022
I'm no guru on the wiring but I just added a wire for my sun pro tach and ran it through the firewall, drill the hole and put a grommet in. After I was done wiring I put a dab of silicone on it.

Gbodylife

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 30, 2022
Well I think I may have found that red wire tonight because I wired the two red wires that go to starter batttery post and no power what so ever at all but I know my batter wire and grounds good because I fired the motor by jumping the starter , anyway as I was closing the hood and already leaving I found another red wire barely poking from that same harness so I now have the purple wire and 3 red wires I’d assume the one I just found goes to starter since I had no power from the other two and one of the two I already have pictured on here must go to alt

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor