84 Cutlass LS swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

diesel cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 19, 2015
Hang on the serpentine accessory drive set up. They likely are worth good money on the Oldsmobile forums. It's the only factory Olds serpentine belt drive produced and I believe it will bolt up to an Olds V8. It was definitely a rare set up. Guys over on ROP are using the diesel V6 reverse rotation water pump and fabbing up thier own brackets.

Does yours look like this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=oldsmobile+v6+diesel+serpentine&espv=2&biw=1536&bih=769&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIvemj-ojAxwIVB9SACh3yVAOv#imgrc=yl9Ox_Eu5UOR9M:
yes thats what it looks like

diesel cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 19, 2015
You definately need to come up with a budget and then think about every thing you need to replace to make the swap work, not just the initial price of purchasing the engine. also take into account if you are going to upgrade later on or add forced induction. I agree with 87national, I personally wouldn't mess with an LT1, especially since you don't have a sbc in there already, you wouldn't be saving anything over a truck ls and you would be limiting potential.
yeah ive started pricing other stuff ie different mounts trans crossmember and all and ive heard LT1 motors had some distributor issues as well as some were bad about blowing head gaskets

diesel cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 19, 2015
The camaro setup would be easier.....the oil pan can be used (if you modify the engine crossmember), the exhaust manifolds can be used, and the intake manifold looks better. The truck oil pan hangs too low, the exh manifolds won't fit and the intake is ugly.

That being said, the truck engine/trans is cheaper and more readily available.
ah i gotcha see ive heard the same on other forums camaro would be easier and through calling local junk yards truck motors are in fact easier to get

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
Yeah I'm working on it is there anything in particular I should look for or consider?
I went carb to simplify things. That way I could run a less expensive fuel pump and lower psi regulator. I haven't done much research on running all factory stuff; fuel injection, manifolds, ecu and harness, etc. i've just seen various things about needing evap systems and have looked at prices of fuel systems for injected engines. It has me waiting until my next build for that.

diesel cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 19, 2015
I went carb to simplify things. That way I could run a less expensive fuel pump and lower psi regulator. I haven't done much research on running all factory stuff; fuel injection, manifolds, ecu and harness, etc. i've just seen various things about needing evap systems and have looked at prices of fuel systems for injected engines. It has me waiting until my next build for that.
ah i gotcha so theres like a conversion kit or something to be able to switch it over?

diesel cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 19, 2015
i guess my question is would u recommend converting to carb or jus trying to run factory?

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other. Doing a carb worked in my situation. I even got the carb for free. Didn't get a wiring harness or ecu when my junkyard engine was delivered though. But I already had the mindset I was going carb so it didn't matter.
If you find a source for your LS I would get as much stuff from the donor vehicle as possible.
The fuel systems I had looked at when I was considering fuel injection was the Holley terminator kit. It was over $700. I will be well below half that after I complete my Aeromotive setup for a carb that I am working on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor