84 Cutlass LS swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

diesel cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 19, 2015
hey all ive got an 84 cutlass with the rare v6 diesel and am thinking about swapping to an LS motor. was thinking about getting a 5.3 out of a mid 2000s chevy truck but was also considering a late 90s ls out of a camaro. was wondering what would be a better package either a truck motor/trans or motor/trans out of a camaro and which would be easier if one is easier than the other and which would be cheaper. not looking for super high performance but definitely want something that i could get some power out of. thanks

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
Would the Camaro trans be an auto or 6 speed? The truck engine would be cheaper initially all things being equal because of the iron block. Connecting everything up would be the same as long as you have the computer and harness, and both were autos. Manual trans swing pedals for a g-body are pricey.

diesel cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 19, 2015
Would the Camaro trans be an auto or 6 speed? The truck engine would be cheaper initially all things being equal because of the iron block. Connecting everything up would be the same as long as you have the computer and harness, and both were autos. Manual trans swing pedals for a g-body are pricey.
it would be an automatic thats what it is now and just thought id avoid the extra work to convert it to manual

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
haha yeah i had thought about that although its a little out of my budget range lol i found an LT1 out of a 95 z28 for a good price would there be any issues to going this route rather than the LS route?
Would be easier from a mounting standpoint. SBC motor mounts and headers would fit. You would have to get the ecu and harness from the camaro, and getting the radiator from there also wouldn't be a bad idea.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
hey all ive got an 84 cutlass with the rare v6 diesel and am thinking about swapping to an LS motor. was thinking about getting a 5.3 out of a mid 2000s chevy truck but was also considering a late 90s ls out of a camaro. was wondering what would be a better package either a truck motor/trans or motor/trans out of a camaro and which would be easier if one is easier than the other and which would be cheaper. not looking for super high performance but definitely want something that i could get some power out of. thanks

The camaro setup would be easier.....the oil pan can be used (if you modify the engine crossmember), the exhaust manifolds can be used, and the intake manifold looks better. The truck oil pan hangs too low, the exh manifolds won't fit and the intake is ugly.

That being said, the truck engine/trans is cheaper and more readily available.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
haha yeah i had thought about that although its a little out of my budget range lol i found an LT1 out of a 95 z28 for a good price would there be any issues to going this route rather than the LS route?
With truck ls motors priced around the same as lt1s.....it doesn't make sense to go Lt1 any more. the ls is superior to the lt1 and will give more potential to upgrade in the future

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
You definately need to come up with a budget and then think about every thing you need to replace to make the swap work, not just the initial price of purchasing the engine. also take into account if you are going to upgrade later on or add forced induction. I agree with 87national, I personally wouldn't mess with an LT1, especially since you don't have a sbc in there already, you wouldn't be saving anything over a truck ls and you would be limiting potential.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
hey all ive got an 84 cutlass with the rare v6 diesel and am thinking about swapping to an LS motor.

Hang on the serpentine accessory drive set up. They likely are worth good money on the Oldsmobile forums. It's the only factory Olds serpentine belt drive produced and I believe it will bolt up to an Olds V8. It was definitely a rare set up. Guys over on ROP are using the diesel V6 reverse rotation water pump and fabbing up thier own brackets.

Does yours look like this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=oldsmobile+v6+diesel+serpentine&espv=2&biw=1536&bih=769&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIvemj-ojAxwIVB9SACh3yVAOv#imgrc=yl9Ox_Eu5UOR9M:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor