84 h/o alternator wiring questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sx455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2011
Just about completed a 6.0ls swap on my 84 h/o.....have some questions about alternator wiring ....i am using the truck setup as far has alt/ps bracket with the 105amp alternator from a 2002 chevy truck....as far as wiring the aLT?? I have the batt lead from the back of the alternator to the battery.....now what to do with the small 4 pin connector? the factory h/o connector had the two wires,1 looped around to the batt term on the alt, the other(brown) goes to the light in the dash i am assuming. Now, how to i wire up the new (2003 truck 105amp) alternator? I am thinking the brown wire to the l term and then a 12volt switched to the f ??? any help would be appreciated!!!

sx455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2011
Thanks for the reply......but i have a 12si series alternator.....i have compared the wiring diagram from the h/o and one from a 03 silverado... i am thinking i shoud put the factory h/o brown wire on the pin "b" which is charge indicator and then run a 12volt switched to pin"c" which is field duty cycle signal?? my question now is do i put a resistor on the pin "c" ???

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
isn't a 12SI an older 2 pin?

IMG_6695m_400.jpg

SI Series / 2-terminal Alternators

Terminals

The older 10-SI and 12-SI series alternators are also sometimes (somewhat inaccurately) known as either two-terminal alternators (after the 2 terminals commonly found on the voltage regulator), or three-wire alternators (after the most common configuration that uses three wires - one to each of the common voltage regulator terminals plus the output wire to the Bat(+) terminal).

sx455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2011
hmmm... this is for a 2003 silverado . i may b mistaken. it has the large batt term. then 4 terms on the small connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor