BUILD THREAD 84 Hurst Olds - TechG8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Just curious, what key on positive did you use?

-Gonz

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Have a question, do you guys still want me to post that other information that goes with what I already posted?

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Consider converting to a heated O2 sensor. Just add key on power and a good ground. Then the sensor wire just can be attached to the factory connector.

I credit 307 403 with the suggestion that got me moving in the right direction.

The hardest part was relearning the CCC system and triple checking it's functions. Trying to diagnose the exact cause.

The Fbody site was just corroboration. And part numbers.

It seems so obvious in hindsight. The knowledge was worth the time though. This was fun

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I credit 307 403 with the suggestion that got me moving in the right direction.

The hardest part was relearning the CCC system and triple checking it's functions. Trying to diagnose the exact cause.

The Fbody site was just corroboration. And part numbers.

It seems so obvious in hindsight. The knowledge was worth the time though. This was fun
Thanks Ken! You went above and beyond with my Qjet. A little washer fixed it. Sometimes a simple solution fixes a problem. I figured a header won't hold heat like a cast iron manifold, so a heated O2 would do the trick.

Reactions: 4 users

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Thanks for the Distributor wrench trick guys. I used a 1" open end wrench on the distributor "square", and with a little persuasion via hammer, it finally broke free and rotated.

With the test terminal grounded at the ALDL, I set base timing at about 20-24 degrees. It was flopping around a little bit I assume due to a sloppy timing chain.

That done, I readjusted the carb and tuned the mixture control solenoid dwell. It starts easier, idles perfectly and responds to throttle inputs very well.

Had the Ttops off today....perfect weather. Hot sun and cool air. Well till the afternoon rain started anyways.

Only a few things left to do now.

Oil sending unit failed - R&R
gage pod foil circuit issues - cleanup, reinstall
Headlight / turn signal circuit funky somehow. Everything works but not quite right.
Tighten and Loctite the tilt steering wheel mechanism.
Wet sand and buff the repainted top. get rid of fish eyes, drips etc.
Nitrous?

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor