'84 Monte Carlo Electric Fan Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I'm considering installing an electric fan in my '84 Monte Carlo...

What exactly should I be shopping for ? How are they installed ?

I seen this on eBay for a reasonable price...think it's good ?

Screenshot_20220319-090002_eBay.jpg

Tim & sleek

Apprentice
Apr 24, 2018
Fort Wayne, In
It won't be "a bolt-on" install but you could likely make/fab something up that allows use of both. The top plate will bolt-on to secure the radiator to its position on the core support. Then you'll need to make brackets/mounting tabs that would adapt the shrouding (of whatever set-up you decide on) so it can attach to the vertical plain of your current top plate. What the tabs end up looking like will be dependent on the shroud shape.
See what I was looking for is I have a 99 Sunfire I use for work car thefan & shroud assembly bolts to a top plate that is plastic similar concept as number 5 in my picture but much newer. That is what I was wishing for. Lol if life was that easy

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
ok, got ya. Looks like in your pic you won't need #3 or #4. That's assuming #5 holds the rad properly. On my MCSS the #3& #5 were plastic moulded together.
I recently swapped to the metal top plate/1pc style shroud on my Malibu.

On 1pc shrouds, the metal top-plate holds the upper part of the plastic shroud in place. Lower portion of it fastens to the core support.

For the 2pc (plastic; upper/lower) shroud set-up, the top piece is both the top-plate & upper portion of the shroud (I believe is was 8 fasteners total). The lower shroud portion connected @ the mid-seam & core support on the bottom (2 + 2/4 fasteners total).

I swapped core supports during this process but would assume all fastener holes for all the models were in the same location. Not sure what g-body my core support came from specifically.

Tim & sleek

Apprentice
Apr 24, 2018
Fort Wayne, In
I recently swapped to the metal top plate/1pc style shroud on my Malibu.

On 1pc shrouds, the metal top-plate holds the upper part of the plastic shroud in place. Lower portion of it fastens to the core support.

For the 2pc (plastic; upper/lower) shroud set-up, the top piece is both the top-plate & upper portion of the shroud (I believe is was 8 fasteners total). The lower shroud portion connected @ the mid-seam & core support on the bottom (2 + 2/4 fasteners total).

I swapped core supports during this process but would assume all fastener holes for all the models were in the same location. Not sure what g-body my core support came from specifically.
Well if you have the metal top piece like I do you understand what I'm looking at. What I want is a electric fan and shroud combination that will bolt right to that top plate.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Well if you have the metal top piece like I do you understand what I'm looking at. What I want is a electric fan and shroud combination that will bolt right to that top plate.
Right.... We're on the same page about what you have & want. That's why I responded with:
It won't be "a bolt-on" install but you could likely make/fab something up that allows use of both. The top plate will bolt-on to secure the radiator to its position on the core support. Then you'll need to make brackets/mounting tabs that would adapt the shrouding (of whatever set-up you decide on) so it can attach to the vertical plain of your current top plate. What the tabs end up looking like will be dependent on the shroud shape.

Tim & sleek

Apprentice
Apr 24, 2018
Fort Wayne, In
Right.... We're on the same page about what you have & want. That's why I responded with:
I looked up some factory car fans and the 04-08 gp and impala have potential but need to hit bone yard with tape measure and check it out. Just don't want the the comments " WHO THE HELL DID THAT " when I m done. Lol have a great night thank you for all the replies.

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I looked up some factory car fans and the 04-08 gp and impala have potential but need to hit bone yard with tape measure and check it out. Just don't want the the comments " WHO THE HELL DID THAT " when I m done. Lol have a great night thank you for all the replies.
Lol, no problem, hit up the bone yards and you should get a better idea how to do it. Cheers

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Not sure why anyone would?

If the size is close enough & they look 'right' to you, current stuff can work & be adapted. Some might require more work vs others so it's hit & miss.

I do see many recommend going to a wrecking yard & "just get one from this/that" & the OE stuff works. But, others may not have the same quantity of wrecking yard sources so they go w/a remanufactured 'replacement' part from Dorman or similar. The fan ratings may not be apple-to-apple comparison (reman'd vs. OE tier supplier). They might get the job done or might not depending on how serious of a cooling system one needs.

Start a thread once you score the parts.

Reactions: 1 users

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
For anyone considering an electric fan set up, I have several Cutlass V-8 metal top plates that securely hold the radiator in place using factory fasteners.

timo22

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor