'84 Monte Carlo Electric Fan Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I'm considering installing an electric fan in my '84 Monte Carlo...

What exactly should I be shopping for ? How are they installed ?

I seen this on eBay for a reasonable price...think it's good ?

Screenshot_20220319-090002_eBay.jpg

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Or, the other correct answer would be just use the original, stock, functional fan, and after having purchased a wrong flex fan the last thing a 'firebreathing' old 305 needs is to buy yet another fan setup when we keep hearing about budget and lack of funds. Of course, with the rats nest of wiring under hood why not cut and splice even more and make even more potential issues to trace down on a car that hasn't even been running in a long time now to figure what messes, shorts, parasitic drains, etc are there to begin with.

Ehh... you know what, maybe DRIVEN has the right idea? Dunno.

:popcorn:
In a more respectful response, I'm aware of the concerns you have regarding using anything other than stock, but I am not interested in using a stock fan.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
In a more respectful response, I'm aware of the concerns you have regarding using anything other than stock, but I am not interested in using a stock fan.
Theres nothing wrong with that man, but be prepared you won’t get this vehicle ready as quick as you want, when you have to take the budget into account.

You either can leave some things stock, and drive it now. Or you can wait, save up to throw on performance parts and then drive it.

Those are really the only options here. I just want to know what exactly is your goals, because getting it ready quick doesn’t seem like the impression I get based on what I have read so far lol.

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Just go the the scrap yard get yourself a dual Intrepid, M300 fan (built in shroud), 2 Bosch relays, Derale 16769 fan controller, and 4 push thru rad zip ties for transmission coolers. The fans fit perfectly in a G body OEM rad. Have them on both my MCSS and 3rd gen Camaro.

Reactions: 6 users

Tim & sleek

Apprentice
Apr 24, 2018
Fort Wayne, In
I have this fan shurd but I would like to go to electric fan. I read the intrepid fan will work but u want to know if their is fan that will bolt right to the #5 top rad hold down. And yes I can drill holes to line something up but would like to know if someone has done already and what car they got the fans from ( yes dual plz )

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220325-121318_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220325-121318_Samsung Internet.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 85

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have this fan shurd but I would like to go to electric fan. I read the intrepid fan will work but u want to know if their is fan that will bolt right to the #5 top rad hold down. And yes I can drill holes to line something up but would like to know if someone has done already and what car they got the fans from ( yes dual plz )
I'll try to explain what I did. I used the Intrepid dual fans and the push thru tie straps, like an oil cooler to the rad. For the top rad support I used the stack 85MCSS plastic shroud like your pic shows. I cut the shroud so only the top mounting surface was there (the top plate that holds the rad & bolts to the top rad saddle). Problem is the 'new' cut piece won't hold the rad anymore. I then took a 1" angle aluminum length and glued it to the newly cut plastic top piece (used 2 part body glue, Proform, can't remember the part#). You could also rivet the angle aluminum to the plastic top piece. When all said and done it looks stock in the car. If I get a chance I'll snap some pics for you.

Reactions: 1 user

Tim & sleek

Apprentice
Apr 24, 2018
Fort Wayne, In
I'll try to explain what I did. I used the Intrepid dual fans and the push thru tie straps, like an oil cooler to the rad. For the top rad support I used the stack 85MCSS plastic shroud like your pic shows. I cut the shroud so only the top mounting surface was there (the top plate that holds the rad & bolts to the top rad saddle). Problem is the 'new' cut piece won't hold the rad anymore. I then took a 1" angle aluminum length and glued it to the newly cut plastic top piece (used 2 part body glue, Proform, can't remember the part#). You could also rivet the angle aluminum to the plastic top piece. When all said and done it looks stock in the car. If I get a chance I'll snap some pics for you.
Ok I hear you but see my shroud top piece is metal and my shroud is one piece. My stuff came out of gbody with a diesel 350 olds motor

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Ok I hear you but see my shroud top piece is metal and my shroud is one piece. My stuff came out of gbody with a diesel 350 olds motor
It won't be "a bolt-on" install but you could likely make/fab something up that allows use of both. The top plate will bolt-on to secure the radiator to its position on the core support. Then you'll need to make brackets/mounting tabs that would adapt the shrouding (of whatever set-up you decide on) so it can attach to the vertical plain of your current top plate. What the tabs end up looking like will be dependent on the shroud shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor