84 Monte Carlo Engine Swap...or Camshaft Replacement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
If it's an SS with the 305 H.O, I'd rebuild it. Have it bored .030 over, balanced with flat top pistons and a .390/.410 lift cam, Rhodes lifters and 2.25 inch exhaust. You'll be surprised at the difference! From the factory, those are good engines with really good heads! I put a set of those heads on a low mile 1979 305 and that engine woke up big time! I was running stock exhaust manifolds and people couldn't believe it was a 305.
I think it's more of a money issue, as in lack of

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If it's an SS with the 305 H.O, I'd rebuild it. Have it bored .030 over, balanced with flat top pistons and a .390/.410 lift cam, Rhodes lifters
The only way I would go with a 305 is if he can find a cheap good running one to swap, if you are going to spend the money to rebuild an SBC then look for a rebuildable 350 roller block core so you not only eliminate the issues with the flat tappet cam you also have the foundation for a performance engine that is not limited by it's tiny bore.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Hes on a few FB Monte groups too although I havent noticed any questions lately.
Got kicked out of and blocked from most of those FB groups... which is why you haven't seen any FB questions and more here.

Admins don't like group members talking back when they're wrong...plenty of times I was given the wrong info... I know who is giving me good info and bad info, I have my favorites and still keep in touch with them this very day...even a local.

Admins in those FB groups can be very controlling...

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
If it's an SS with the 305 H.O, I'd rebuild it. Have it bored .030 over, balanced with flat top pistons and a .390/.410 lift cam, Rhodes lifters and 2.25 inch exhaust. You'll be surprised at the difference! From the factory, those are good engines with really good heads! I put a set of those heads on a low mile 1979 305 and that engine woke up big time! I was running stock exhaust manifolds and people couldn't believe it was a 305.
2.25 inch exhaust ?

How much does it cost to bore ? Heads need to be removed to bore, correct ?

I'll look up those lifters and that camshaft.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
if you are going to spend the money to rebuild an SBC then look for a rebuildable 350 roller block core so you not only eliminate the issues with the flat tappet cam you also have the foundation for a performance engine that is not limited by it's tiny bore.
Yes I'm told a 1996-2000 Vortec is what I should be looking for if I'm going to swap. Roller cam and lifters to get rid of the troublesome flat tappet setup.

Just moved into my own place and Christmas is here so I'm tied up buying gifts for the kiddos and moving expenses with this months budget...

But as of now the engine runs fine except for the ticking, and I have started a good temporary full time $15 an hour weekly pay job that will help with whichever decision I make, replace the cam and lifters or engine swap...

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
How much does it cost to bore ? Heads need to be removed to bore, correct ?
Boring an engine is part of a rebuild, you have to pull the engine and completely disassemble it once bored you would need new pistons and rings, resized rods, rebalance the rotating assembly. as I stated I would not waste time doing this to a 305, the cost for machining, assembly and parts are going to be the same price for a 350 as a 305.
I'll look up those lifters and that camshaft.
As far as Rhoads lifters they were designed to help with bigger cams making them more "streetable" and are not going to solve any flat tappet wear issues.
But as of now the engine runs fine except for the ticking,
If your lifters were worn badly then all of those metal shavings are throughout the engine so it would just be a matter of time before the damage from that happens.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Admins don't like group members talking back when they're wrong....

Don't forget that is a two way street too, right?
🙃🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

You have been given a lot of GREAT advice, by over a DOZEN different members here. As a young person still learning myself, if anything I don't understand how anyone can't see the value in the information shared by members.

The people here taking time out of their nights to keep your Monte running? That is $$$$.

It's clear, you need an engine swap. If I can find a fully complete 350 & have it delivered to me and during the pandemic when prices were high?? For $500?

Then no reason why your mechanic shouldn't be able to find one to swap 🤷‍♀️🤣🤣🤣

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Yes I'm told a 1996-2000 Vortec is what I should be looking for if I'm going to swap. Roller cam and lifters to get rid of the troublesome flat tappet setup.

Just moved into my own place and Christmas is here so I'm tied up buying gifts for the kiddos and moving expenses with this months budget...

But as of now the engine runs fine except for the ticking, and I have started a good temporary full time $15 an hour weekly pay job that will help with whichever decision I make, replace the cam and lifters or engine swap...
Wait so it's ticking?! So you sure it's the bottom of the motor that is rough dude 🥺

Can you share a photo of the dipstick? Your oil will help paint there a better picture.

Also, I figure to ask but have you pulled your spark plugs and seen what they showed?!

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Boring an engine is part of a rebuild, you have to pull the engine and completely disassemble it once bored you would need new pistons and rings, resized rods, rebalance the rotating assembly. as I stated I would not waste time doing this to a 305, the cost for machining, assembly and parts are going to be the same price for a 350 as a 305.

As far as Rhoads lifters they were designed to help with bigger cams making them more "streetable" and are not going to solve any flat tappet wear issues.

If your lifters were worn badly then all of those metal shavings are throughout the engine so it would just be a matter of time before the damage from that happens.

🙃🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

You have been given a lot of GREAT advice, by over a DOZEN different members here. As a young person still learning myself, if anything I don't understand how anyone can't see the value in the information shared by members.

The people here taking time out of their nights to keep your Monte running? That is $$$$.

It's clear, you need an engine swap. If I can find a fully complete 350 & have it delivered to me and during the pandemic when prices were high?? For $500?

Wait so it's ticking?! So you sure it's the bottom of the motor that is rough dude 🥺

Can you share a photo of the dipstick? Your oil will help paint there a better picture.

Also, have you pulled your spark plugs at all and see what they demonstrate man?

Fire Trash GIF

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
🙃🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Sure, I've been given good advice, I ain't knocking that at all...and I'm well aware of the help I receive here for free and it's appreciated... Currently considering enrolling into auto technician school if my disability doesn't go as planned.

However, not all the advice I receive is good advice...like when I posted my whole timing chain replacement here and asked if I should take out the cam while I was already in the engine...I was advised not to because it was assumed my camshaft was good....

Look at me now...worn lifters, possibly worn cam, and a need to swap the engine... wouldn't be here if I just pulled the cam while I was already there...

I don't have a mechanic, I am my mechanic. A couple of guys have shown me 350 Vortec engines locally... The 305 motor I have right now would need to run long enough for me to get money to buy the engine, an engine stand, rebuild parts, and eventually an engine hoist... Not to mention I can't just pull a motor in an apartment complex parking lot so I'll have to find space and time for me to be in that space to complete the job.

Versus a camshaft swap, that can be done with the engine in the car...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor