'84 Monte Carlo Ignition Switch Harness Wire Color Codes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I'm installing a push start ignition switch I bought on Amazon
20210902_115116.jpg
20210902_114142.jpg

I have it wired correctly as far as getting it to turn over but I'm not getting gas to the engine...

Does anybody know of the function of the color coded wires on these black and blue ignition switch harnesses ?
20210902_114126.jpg
Screenshot_20210902-103628_Photos.jpg

I wired to the "ignition" (pink and orange), the "battery 12v" (red), and "starter solenoid" (purple)...turns over, but doesn't fire up ?

Is the fuel pump wire fused with the ignition wires (pink and orange), or does it have a wire of it's own ?

Also, I want to hook all of these things directly to the power source of the main on/off switch, so when I flip the main switch on, all of these things power on once I flip only the on/off switch, and all I have to do is hit the "engine start" button to start it up.

I want to use the accessory switches for other things later, if so...

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I'm installing a push start ignition switch I bought on Amazon View attachment 183016 View attachment 183017

I have it wired correctly as far as getting it to turn over but I'm not getting gas to the engine...

Does anybody know of the function of the color coded wires on these black and blue ignition switch harnesses ?
View attachment 183018 View attachment 183019
I thought you already made another topic on this?

But I think you are overcomplicating things a bit here, all you need to start these cars with is 3 wires dude.

1. The big red 12 volt wire.
2. The big purple starter wire.
3. Your accessories wire.

That’s it. So yeah, it’s not gonna start when you aren’t running power to HEI, fuel pump etc.

So find your acc wire, and run it to your switch. When it’s flipped, ALL the accessories, lights etc will turn on.

Then start, like it’s really that simple.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I'm installing a push start ignition switch I bought on Amazon View attachment 183016 View attachment 183017

View attachment 183018 View attachment 183019

I wired to the "ignition" (pink and orange), the "battery 12v" (red), and "starter solenoid" (purple)...turns over, but doesn't fire up ?

Is the fuel pump wire fused with the ignition wires (pink and orange), or does it have a wire of it's own ?

Also, I want to hook all of these things directly to the power source of the main on/off switch, so when I flip the main switch on, all of these things power on once I flip only the on/off switch, and all I have to do is hit the "engine start" button to start it up.

Now to answer your question on colour, the 3 wires that help, is yellow, orange (or red for 12V) and purple.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I thought you already made another topic on this?

But I think you are overcomplicating things a bit here, all you need to start these cars with is 3 wires dude.

1. The big red 12 volt wire.
2. The big purple starter wire.
3. Your accessories wire.

That’s it. So yeah, it’s not gonna start when you aren’t running power to HEI, fuel pump etc.

So find your acc wire, and run it to your switch. When it’s flipped, ALL the accessories, lights etc will turn on.

Then start, like it’s really that simple.
Well, I just bought this car about a month ago, it has modifications, and I don't know much about it...

Like for example, the original/stock fuel pump is supposed to be mechanical, but when my key is turned over, the fuel pump hums as if its powered by an electrical signal...

Not hearing that hum anymore...

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Now to answer your question on colour, the 3 wires that help, is yellow, orange (or red for 12V) and purple.
All of those are wired...both red and orange, yellow, and purple are all wired, and no fire...

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Well, I just bought this car about a month ago, it has modifications, and I don't know much about it...

Like for example, the original/stock fuel pump is supposed to be mechanical, but when my key is turned over, the fuel pump hums as if its powered by an electrical signal...

Not hearing that hum anymore...
That’s why wiring can be a PITA if you have no experience doing electrical work. The colors I just shared hopefully help.

If it’s mechanical, you should be able to tell if there’s fuel going into the carburetor, simply by pumping the pedal and smelling the carb for gas- or engaging the linkage and hearing it squirt.

If it’s electric, it may run off the yellow accessories wire. So make sure that is connected to the switch like I said earlier.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
All of those are wired...both red and orange, yellow, and purple are all wired, and no fire...
That’s a good first step.

Follow what I said, for seeing if it’s a mechanical fuel pump issue. If it is electric, then you will need to follow the wire from the pump and make sure it gets +12V.

Investigate for spark too, or use a multimeter on your HEI. Good luck.

Last edited:

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
That’s a good first step.

Follow what I said, for seeing if it’s a mechanical fuel pump issue. If it is electric, then you will need to follow the wire from the pump and make sure it gets +12V.

Investigate for spark too, or use a multimeter on your HEI. Good luck.
I finally got it wired correctly...😎

I had to wire:

Blue harness: Every wire.

Black harness: Orange and red wires only.

All connected to the "ON" position power connector on the aftermarket switch panel, so when I flip the switch, everything powers on, then press the button to start it up.

Red and orange wires on the black harness turns on fuel pump and feeds gas to the engine while it's running...without these wires connected, engine runs in idle for a couple of minutes then slowly stalls.

Last edited:
  • Happy
Reactions: 1 users

83Blues

n00b
May 19, 2021
I finally got it wired correctly...😎

I had to wire:

Blue harness: Every wire.

Black harness: Orange and red wires only.

All connected to the "ON" position power connector on the aftermarket switch panel, so when I flip the switch, everything powers on, then press the button to start it up.

Red and orange wires on the black harness turns on fuel pump and feeds gas to the engine while it's running...without these wires connected, engine runs in idle for a couple of minutes then slowly stalls.
Nice Work bRO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor