84 regal speedometer not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

84regal17

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 27, 2009
hey i got an 84 regal the speedo is not working its an anolog speedo the motor is a 4.1 v6 the same as the 3.8 but bored to 4.1 and with a 4 barrel jus wanted to know were the speed sensor is located or if there could be anything else wrong

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Is this really a huge mystery with gbody's or has someone figured it out yet?

My speedometer is so noisy and jumps all over the place!

TTT

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
i have the same problem,i have an 86 cutlass salon 307 v8 and the tachometer,oil pressure gauge and speedometer all dont read right,to fix these problems from what i know,you have to solder a certain piece of solder metal to the sending units of the speedometer or tachometer,read here-http://tech.oldsgmail.com/eint_tach_fix.php

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
the sender unit on a regal is on the tail of the transmission it resembles how a garden hose hooks up.its horizontal

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
It may bethe speedometer cable, especially if the symptom is that the speedo is jumping around. Probably just needs cleaning.
Remove your instrument cluster, disconnect the speedo cable, pull the inner cable out, lubricate it and put it back in.

Do you have cruise control? If you do, then you have two speedo cables. One (the Upper) goes from the speedo to the cruise control unit under the hood. The other (the Lower) goes from the cuise control to the transmission. Either could be bad.

A third possibility is the speedometer itself, but try the cables cleaning first..

86Limited

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2009
The Gunshine State, Fl
Undo the cable from the cluster, move the cable so you can see It, take the car for a drive, If you see the cable turning you know the cable Is good. Did this with my Mazda B2000 long time ago.

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
if its at zero all the time then the cable isnt spinning the speedo. Could be broken, stuck or even disconnected. There are other possibilities but cables are notorious.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
More than likely, its the speedometer cable. If you have done anything to that car, new rear end, different gears, larger tires, whatever... your speedometer will act wierd. At the same time there is a little gear box that is outside the transmission that the speedo cable hooks up to. Those have a terrible tendency of going out. There was one shop down here in san antonio that could custom make me a new one to work with my camaro rims and 3.73 gears. Its a dying art to find someone who can still do it and it takes time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor