Status
Not open for further replies.

Brougham'84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2015
Hey Everybody,

So I've run into a bit of a problem and I have a little bit of a story to tell, if you wouldn't mind hearing.
I own an '84 Cutlass Supreme. It's got a V6 and 3 speed automatic. It was the first car I ever got (had a few in between but this one's always been by my side). The engine, although lacking in power, was always reliable cold or hot or having sat for a few months at a time and did it's job with very little maintenance. The car was originally given to me by my sweet, old, childhood neighbor who's driveway I would shovel and lawn I would mow every year from when I could barely lift a shovel full of snow. As she grew older she lost the ability to drive and it so happened that at about that time I had obtained my learner's permit. Being such a sweet, old lady, she decided to give the car to me. The car was slow, a bit musty, and well, a bit of an ugly duckling (but boy do those G bodies grow on you), but the car was old (older than anything any other kid in school had apart from my buddy who was able to obtain an '84 GNX) and reliable, and well, free. I appreciated it. I took it, and learned to love it, even with it's manual door locks and windows, and it's AM radio that only sometimes worked - these features having been specially ordered from the factory by my neighbor. I even have the original bill of sale, showing that the caring older lady paid extra for these manual features, as well as an impressive amount for the Brougham package. The car has been with me (or at least next door to me, as a child) all of my life, and so you might understand that I have a bit of a connection to it, and would hate to lose it.

This brings us more to present day. A few nights ago I was driving home and began hearing a fairly loud clack noise. I was fairly close and so I attempted to get it the last couple miles - figuring whether it broke down or not before I got home I would still end up having to get the car to my mom's house (my stepfather has a garage in the back and has restored quite a few cars in the past - although no G bodies). And so onward I went but within a mile I was losing power, the clacking got a bit louder and the engine up and quit on me. The whole time I've been driving I've had AAA and this is the first time I've actually had to use it. Anyhow, I think I've got a spun bearing, although the engine really doesn't want to turn over at all.

This problem may be a godsend of sorts however. Ever since I got the car I always said I wanted to swap the lazy V6 with a 350 but the damn thing was so reliable I didn't want to fix what wasn't broken. Well apparently it wasn't that reliable, since the damn thing only has about 77,000 miles on it.

This may be giving me an opportunity to do the swap I've always wanted. I know there are plenty of threads regarding these swaps but the information is spotty and kind of all over the place.

I was hoping I could get some tips. Also what exactly I will need to change out and any issues I may run into.

The point of this is to get a carbureted Chevy 350 in there. I don't have anything yet, so once I yank the V6 I'm pretty much starting from scratch - Any help would be greatly appreciate!!!

To start, I know I'll need a new radiator, a new transmission, motor mounts, and I'll need to beef up the front suspension. Would anybody care to help me out on what exactly I should be looking for parts wise? I know a big part of this is how much you're willing to spend - lets assume I'm willing to spend as little as possible this second to get the car back up and running for now.
Will I have to screw with the rear end? The one that's in there is like the size of a softball.

Like I said before, any help would be greatly appreciated.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Put an Olds in it, screw the Chevy...

Might want to try the Monte or engine swap section if you need advice on a Chevy conversion to get more visibility, not much advise is going to be gained here except ridicule lol

You basically have a Monte with Cutlass Skin....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Brougham'84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2015
Wasn't sure where was best to post it. People want to ridicule because they have nothing better to do, so be it. No skin off my back.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My '83 V-6 snapped a crankshaft half a state away- I feel your pain. Now, is it a Buick V-6? A Buick V-8 would be really easy to swap and would wake that sleeper right up. They can be hard to find though, just as Olds and Pontiac are getting to be. So the Chevy would be easy to find/cheapest to buy, but hardest to swap in for a rookie. Personally I prefer motor to match the car so an Olds 403 would be my choice .

Reactions: 1 user

Brougham'84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2015
My '83 V-6 snapped a crankshaft half a state away- I feel your pain. Now, is it a Buick V-6? A Buick V-8 would be really easy to swap and would wake that sleeper right up. They can be hard to find though, just as Olds and Pontiac are getting to be. So the Chevy would be easy to find/cheapest to buy, but hardest to swap in for a rookie. Personally I prefer motor to match the car so an Olds 403 would be my choice .

Thanks for the tips.
Are all the V-6's they were putting in the Oldsmobiles Buicks? If so, then it is. The engine's original.
And I would prefer to match the motor to the car, but like you said, they're getting harder to find as time goes on.
Maybe some time in the future I'll spend the time and money to find an Olds engine, but for now I'll be happy with something to get it running.
I know the Chevy swap would be the cheapest and the easiest to find parts to and I'm not afraid of a bit of frustration and trial and error. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, right?
So I was planning on Chevy 350 in (mostly because they're everywhere), I just wasn't sure what would need to be changed out for what exactly.

Thanks again for the response!

442_87

Apprentice
Jul 19, 2014
As for radiator , go to the local parts store and pick up a generic radiator for an 83 Monte Carlo ( HD with AC, for a car that had the 305v8) It's cheap and it will keep the engine cool ( as long there no issues with the engine) this would be the cheapest option

I had a griffin in my olds 442 , with 350sbc and now have swapped it out for a northern radiator unit .

Mounts , you can get the clam shell mounts for a sbc check summit

Not sure how the frame mounts look on a V6 , but there numerous threads on how to set the mounts up right

What transmission is in the car now? Depending on the power of the engine, other parts in drivetrain may need to be upgraded , or how heavy your right foot is .

Don't worry about having a sbc in an olds .. It's your car !!! Do what YOU want

Brougham'84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2015
Thanks for the response. The transmission and the rear end will need to get swapped out too. I was just looking for something to get the car on the road again this second. I can upgrade a little at a time as I go, but I miss driving my car!

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Hey Brougham'84, not sure if you pulled the trigger on you sbc swap or not. Anyhow, here are some swap facts for your car. (If you have the sbc 350 please disregard.)
First you can get salvage motors from car-part.com. Any GM make sbc, Olds, Buick, and Pontiac (The Pontiacs are more costly) around +/- $500 bucks.
The easiest swap is the Buick 350. it uses all the same mounting pieces as the Buick V6. Only issue is exhaust manifold mach up. (But thats similar on all of them).
All the other motors require a: motor and frame mount swap, fuel rail swap (Buick is the only one that has the fuel pump and fuel rail on the driver's side.) transmission swap (Chevy only), engine harness swap or customization (Olds and Pontiac's alternator and starter is on the driver's side, so is the harness), and A/C lines swap (Olds and Pontiac again. On the driver side).
So that's mostly it as I remember. Whatever is easier for you to do and can afford.
T

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
P.S. car-part.com is a network of salvage yards nation wide. Shipping is usually Starting at $150. I got my '73 Olds 350 from MN for that much totaling $400. You may find a yard closer to you for pick up. I got my T-5 transmission that way.
T

Stuart

Apprentice
May 26, 2015
I actually just finished my swap in my 84 cutlass. I put a Chevy 350 and I love it. So much power now and time payed off. Depending on what you get downers on the amount of work. The actual swap wasn't bad and only took about 2-3 days (only working for about 5 hours a day) regardless there's a lot of parts to get. You run into a lot of it as you go. I put new front springs to start. You need new motor mounts and the holes line up differently. The easiest swap would be a Buick engine considering that's what was in it but in reality, a Chevy engine is the way to go. It's easier to find parts and deal with everything. The one thing I was irritated with was the wiring because the engine is from a 93 caprice (luckily I had the whole entire wiring harness) so this just depends what you want to get into. To put it into perspective i paced myself and worked on it for about 2 months. But I tell you it runs like a dream. Any other specific questions let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor