85 442

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Does it have a little lug/nub on the passenger side near the bellhousing area on the block?

Attachments

• pontiac_transfer_lug_.png
    pontiac_transfer_lug_.png
    409.2 KB · Views: 270

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Had to move a packrats nest to see. Yes it has that nub.
then it's not a 389 or 400. could be a 326, 350, 421, 428 or 455 or '74 SD 455 lol.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Here is the numbers on the front passenger side block of the pontiac if anyone in the know wants to look it up or share what it is.

full
From what i can tell, that number is just part of the donor vehicle's vin. Put #1 cylinder (for sake of accessibility), get piece of a coat hanger or mechanic's wire, or welding wire (something that will hold it's shape put it in a cylinder, and mark where it is at the base of the spark plug hole. rotate engine until wire stops going down. mark again. You then have an approximation of the stroke. My money is on it being a 350. it's the easiest way i can think of without tearing the engine apart to see what it is, unless pontiac decided to be nice and cast a big 350, 455, etc on the side of the block somewhere. do it with the battery disconnected.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa

AZRegal

Greasemonkey
Aug 20, 2017
Mesa AZ
Definitely worthy of a resto.

I am torn. It is a special model and a good body but it has been a mouse house since 2012 and the wiring harness inside and outside is trash. The interior is bad. Every piece of plastic or rubber is dried out or gone. You would have more in restoring it than it would be worth. There is a really nice clean survivor 85 442 for sale out here for $10k. It has not sold for a while. Restoring this car would be 2-3 times that amount easily. You would have to really want a 442 to justify restoring this car in my opinion. This would be a great car for someone back east with a rusted out 442 to get for a true 442 rust free body.

Reactions: 1 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I am torn. It is a special model and a good body but it has been a mouse house since 2012 and the wiring harness inside and outside is trash. The interior is bad. Every piece of plastic or rubber is dried out or gone. You would have more in restoring it than it would be worth. There is a really nice clean survivor 85 442 for sale out here for $10k. It has not sold for a while. Restoring this car would be 2-3 times that amount easily. You would have to really want a 442 to justify restoring this car in my opinion. This would be a great car for someone back east with a rusted out 442 to get for a true 442 rust free body.

This is what I thought of and when similar cars come up. Combine a rotted northern one and this one, could make one nice driver or candidate to go further in a restoration or build.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Taken right from the Hollander interchange book. It could be a 455 it could also as easily be a 301.
20190701_030936.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor