Not open for further replies.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
Tall lower ball joints and bushings pressed into the arms. Passenger side assembled, shock installed.
20170401_121225.jpg

Tomorrow morning I'm picking up a set of Blazer brakes along with a 3.42 7.625" rear end.

Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
What's a "wife"?
Its the woman that replaces the one you're dating when you get a hair brain idea to get married. Somtimes they're the same model, sometimes they're not. They don't come with an instruction manual & may give you issues when you want to tune them to run they way you want them to.

Reactions: 1 users

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
A week ago I began trying to start the car, unsuccessfully. Keep in mind the only new parts I've got in my ignition system are spark plugs. Stabbed the distributor, thought I had the firing order correct, re-stabbed the distributor (later finding out it was 180 out this time). I wasn't getting any fuel, but the pump was working prior to disassembling the engine. Then I left on a business trip for a week, returning Thursday night.

Took most of Friday off and got back to the car. re-installed the distributor again, realized I was 1 terminal off on my firing order (on top of being 180 out from the previous install). Swapped out my rotor and a coil with another set I had. Also found a hole in my feed line to the fuel pump, so I was probably sucking air. Replaced the fuel line, cranked it over, and she roared to life! :D:banana:

I shut it down immediately and hung the mufflers, filled the coolant system with water and a flush to de-scum it. Fired it back up and set my base timing at 16 degrees, adjusted my Qjet and got the curb idle dialed in at 1100. I still haven't located a good source for power to my choke, so she fought me to start this morning.

I have a few things to address before I take a test drive. I'm puking oil out the back of my passenger side valve cover. I hear an exhaust leak from my headers, and most disturbing is that my electric fan setup isn't coming on at all. Quite a bit of progress since last night, though.

Reactions: 1 user

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
Most of what I mentioned in my previous post is dialed in. Electric choke is wired and functioning, oil and exhaust leaks buttoned up, and my electric fans are sorted out. She runs great! My last major mechanical obstacle was replacing the stock 2.14 gears with a set of 3.42's I picked up. Well, nothing is ever easy...

I had a drain pan positioned underneath the diff cover as I loosened all of the bolts. Broke the gasket seal and pulled my arm out of the way... for absolutely no reason, because not a single drop of gear oil dribbled out. I popped the cover off and observed a layer of thick sludge inside of the diff. Bummer. to make matters worse, the cross pin bolt sheared when I was loosening it and now I'm stuck. Per the advice of a buddy, I took a 3lb sledge and tried to break what was left of the bolt by driving the cross pin out. The carrier began to crack where the pin slides through. I cleaned my crap up for the night to come back in and have a beer. Motivation is about as deep as my gear oil at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor