BUILD THREAD 85 Cutlass Supreme - Mulligan

Algershick

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
224
288
43
Tacoma, Washington
Last update for today - I have been looking for a frame. I have a crazy project in mind that I'm not ready to disclose yet (might get me disowned from 2 different car enthusiast groups :ROFLMAO:).

Anyhow, on a local gbody Facebook group I located a frame for free, and it came with a car mounted to it! The car itself is an 81 Calais that originally had a diesel in it (now swapped to a SBC). The interior is stripped. There are a lot of goodies that I'll be able to use for my Cutlass though, like fenders, hardtop window trim, etc. Pretty awesome score, and the previous owner was super friendly. We're going to get the motor and transmission pulled at my house for him, and I'll keep the shell.
 
Last edited:
Algershick

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
224
288
43
Tacoma, Washington
Had my helpers draining the oil from the Chevy 350 that's coming out of the Calais parts car. They do good work!
20190603_190703-jpg.115126
 
Last edited:
Algershick

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
224
288
43
Tacoma, Washington
No pictures, but I've accomplished a few things in the last week!

The biggest development is I got my frame rolling. I removed the rear springs from the Calais and secured them to the 8.8 axle tubes. The upper control arms are connected, but I couldn't t weld in the lowers until I get the 8.8 under the car and centered. After that, I rolled the frame out and started the slow, tedious process of lowering the body and getting the frame back underneath it. Pretty sketchy on concrete pad in the back yard armed with 6 jackstands, 2 jacks, piles of lumber and wheel dollies, but she's in!

I installed a new set of Energy Suspension body bushings that I've had for a few years (were bought for the Grand Prix). Got it all in, and bolted up without any issues. I had very minor distortion in the frame rails from boxing, so that was a relief.

I need to get the car back in the garage to finish welding, but the steering wasn't hooked up yet and I wasn't about to hook up my filthy, worn out rag joint /steering shaft. I remembered I had an Astro shaft tucked away from my Fbody days and went to work rotating the end 90 degrees. Got it re-installed, welded, cleaned and painted.

Progress is slow, and some days I've only got 30 minutes to tinker, but I AM making progress daily which is a good feeling.
 
Algershick

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
224
288
43
Tacoma, Washington
Oh, I did forget to mention I ordered a set of Viking coilovers for the rear which should be interesting to install. I spent more money on coilovers than I did on the entire car. :unsure::ROFLMAO:
 
Algershick

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
224
288
43
Tacoma, Washington
After work today I installed my Astro steering shaft. It went in like it was meant to be.
20190612_191247-jpg.115678


My biggest accomplishment of the day was giving the car a push through the back yard, signifying that she's mobile again! She's dirty and needs some attention, but the suspension settled into place level just like it was before I pulled it apart.
20190612_184050-jpg.115679


Lastly, the parts car is looking mighty nervous with my Cutlass behind it licking her chops...
20190612_185053-jpg.115686
 

Similar threads


Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot Mike's Montes P-S-T Southside Machine Performance UMI Performance

contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor

copyright ©2018 Ripp Technical Services, All Rights Reserved.