85 El Camino gauges and shift conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thediggsmang

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2019
I recently bought a 1985 El Camino. It has a 305 under the hood. It came with a few modifications. The motor has a Holley 700CFM carburetor. (I know it's to big but she runs great other than the obvious issues so I don't want to change it). An Edelbrock top end, flow master exhaust and some sweet cragar rims. It looks mean sounds mean and I love it. The body is in great shape and the interior is all there. Just needs a little work. What I am needing help with is that on the instrument cluster there are some gauges missing. I want to hook them up. They are the oil pressure, battery and temp gauge. Are these difficult to install? I don't believe that anything is run under the hood for the gauges. Where could I find the gauge and all the wiring that is for them to be hooked up and how do I go about hooking them up? I also would like to turn the clock into an RPM gauge and last the car has a column shifter and I would like to install bucket seats and move the shifter to a console shift on the floor. Is it a difficult job? What would I need to accomplish this? And what would be the best shifter to use? I am not trying to make race ready or anything like that. I want it to look good, sound good and drive good. That's all. Thank you

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
If your seat is a 60/40 bench seat buckets will bolt in, if a full bench seat brackets are needed. Console and shifter brackets will need to be added depending on what console and shifter you install.
Easy way to get gauges is replace cluster with a SS Monte or Malibu with a rally cluster, then change out sending units for gauge units.
I did a GP dash bucket and console in my 84.
Was not too bad, it had a 60/40 bench and column shift.

20190509_003423.jpg
20190509_003248.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor