85 El Camino with major drivability issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thediggsmang

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2019
It has a Delco Remy distributor and yes the plugs seemed fouled to me. Also there is a lot of crud on the bottom of the engine and it looked like who ever installed the last plugs was just stabbing away trying to put them in and all that crud got on the end of the plugs and shocked hard as rock to the end of the plug. I was surprised that half of them even worked. Put new plugs in. Haven't pulled them yet. She is my daily driver so I drive her all distances all the time. Work is 20 minutes away on the highway, Sister's is about 15 minutes away and at night I have a small business where I pick up stranded bikers and tow them where they need to go so their bikes aren't stuck somewhere over night and they don't have to pay for a flat bed to come out. Maybe 3 or 4 calls a week. Never needed a trailer and the furthest I've taken someone is 40 minutes on the highway. I don't believe the distributor is computer controlled.

Thediggsmang

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2019
Thought some pictures might help. I also have the Chilton. It's the general g body style all years crammed into one. Also not entirely sure it is original engine and harness. There have been debates about that.

Attachments

• KIMG0042.JPG
    KIMG0042.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 162
  • KIMG0043.JPG
    KIMG0043.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 145
  • KIMG0044.JPG
    KIMG0044.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 150
  • KIMG0045.JPG
    KIMG0045.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 162

Thediggsmang

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2019
Hopefully those will help. I feel like I need to get this exhaust leak under control before I move any further. It's extremely loud spitting coming from passenger side manifold so I am going to do that today. I have a full gasket set and new double roller timing chain and gears.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
before I would change the timing chain I would get a proper carb, no reason the go that far unless you know the chain is stretched. You do not have a computer controlled distributor and I would do a tune up including car, rotor and wires along with the proper carb and see how it runs after that.

Reactions: 1 users

Thediggsmang

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2019
I have a carb for it but it's not running properly. From what I understand when I had the front end looked at, and I trust this mechanic, no other ones, he said that other then the carb, intake manifold, flow master exhaust and the crager rims, this truck is completely original. There are no tool marks to suggest that anything at all had been changed. Had the original radio that worked, original starter, alternator, everything. He was the one who told me the numbers on the block dont match the numbers on the dash and what he believed it came from a 1976 Chevy pickup because it has a CC wiring harness to allow for the electronic choke which from what I understand was a feature the El Camino never got. A new carb is way out of my price range especially now with this stupid virus so I'm forced to work with what I have. I'll look into another carb. I see them all the time on Facebook market. I'll see what I can come up with. The only other issue is this is my only vehical and I'm starting to go mad being stuck around the house. My bike is down too.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
what he believed it came from a 1976 Chevy pickup because it has a CC wiring harness to allow for the electronic choke which from what I understand was a feature the El Camino never got.
Your Elky did come with an electric choke. From V6's had it from '78-'84 as '85-'87 had FI, V8's had it from '80-'87. From what I can tell that distributor is aftermarket unless someone just changed out the the vacuum advance with an aftermaket one (OE is all round & don't have that hex feature yours has.) To add another thing to look at is that vacuum advance & check to see if it's an adjustable (odds are it is.) If it is, the adjustment could an added factor or it might just be bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor