85 Monte Carlo-Wiring Diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2006
Wichita KS
So whoever had the car before me really buggered up the wiring. Looks that all the harnesses are there but so many arent plugged into anything and they decided to modify some and run their own wiring. Would like to see what is what and determine what the unused harnesses are for. Can anybody point me in the right direction.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Try E-Bay and see if you can find a factory service manual set. I got mine for like $30 a year ago. Unfortunately, there are so many sub harnesses that I can't possibly post all of the schematics, and the manuals ( 3 book set, about 4,000 pages) do not have a general schematic. If you can give me a more specific request, I may be able to look up a specific circuit for you and answer any questions you may have. If it is the underhood harness, there are 4 separate harnesses- lights; Computer; engine starting, ignition, A/C and charging; and cruise control. In the dash there is a computer harness, cruise control harness ( same as underhood CC), computer harness, taillight harness, power windows and locks harness, etc.

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
most of the bigger parts store chains will let you use mitchell on demand or alldata and print off diagrams and trouble trees etc. partsource up here in canada and autozone down in the states lets you do this.

Verz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2006
Wichita KS
100_0992.jpg

That is the mess I have to figure out. They re-routed wires all over the place and there are things hanging down that I dont know what goes to what. so which ever the main harness that connects to the fuse block under the dash is my biggest concern. The computer that is in the passenger kick panel actually isnt in there so a couple harnesses are hanging over there. Under hood I figured out what most of the things are but there are a few wires that dont connect to anything.

I have decided to go with an LT1 swap so the wiring is going to be important to know whats what. Ill try ebay and see if i can find a service manual.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Yeah, I can identify most of the mess by looking at it, but that's a real PITA to deal with if you are not used to G body wiring. The red,black,green wire (3 grouped together) is the VSS signal sensor ( bolts to the back of the speedo by the speedo cable), the white and orange wires paired together are the interior lighting wires, the purple wire with the big black connector may be the rear window defroster ( or it's the one that is not used), the big black connector with bolt holes in it to the right is the ALDL connector, etc. The only reason I know any of this is that I rewired my dash to add in the power locks, power trunk release and rally gauge cluster. I'm also doing the cruise control as soon as I find the parts on a day I have the money...

Oh, one more thing: between the door opening and the steering column on the firewall above the fuse box is the main terminal bus which is where most of the accessories draw their power from. Anything that plugs in there can go into any open slot as they are non specific. Everywhere else, there are specific wires that need to go together in order for things to work right. I messed up my brake lights and A/C when I did my assembly, but most of the plugs could only go one way and into one socket within reach of the wire I was using. It was years between taking the dash out and putting it back in, but I still found most of it to be fairly easy and it only took a few days to sort it all out. Most of it did not require referencing the manual either.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Normally I'd say a Chev service manual is exactly what you need because it would have the wiring diagrams (if not removed) you need, plus theyre in living color!
But, the Chev Division, for some strange reason, had separate Electrical Troubleshooting manuals, for some years....so look for both Service and the Elect manuals.
Once you find what you need, you'll be real pleased.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Yeah, my manual set is actually 3 books: Electrical, Chassis and Fisher Body ( blue book). It covers all of the RWD Oldsmobiles of that year and there is a separate book for FWD cars.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
They are in the electrical manual.

rlsllc

Apprentice
Sep 24, 2007
Ohio
I've got a 1985 wiring diagram PDF, I sent it to the hotmail in your profile, PM me if you don't get it.

Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor