85 monte ss tach reading high intermittently

Status
Not open for further replies.

DmcL

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 30, 2014
The stock tach in the car reads normal when driving normally but sometimes (maybe all the time) when you give it full throttle it suddenly reads high. Like say 7k when it should be 4 or 5. I don't have the car yet but it's an issue I saw on the test drive and that was pointed out to me.

Is this a common issue? What's likely to be the cause?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I had a tach that had a similar problem and gave it to Bonnewagon as I was putting a VDO tach in my GP. Bonnewagon found the problem was the jumper was lose or maybe it was the connectors. You might want to ask him about it.

DmcL

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 30, 2014
Ok probably something on the dash cluster then by the sound of it. Since were kind of on the subject can I just swap in a higher reading speedometer and get rid of the stock 85mph one?

DmcL

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 30, 2014
Ok after getting the car on Monday and driving it a bit the tach is high all the time so it looks like the resistor trick will probably fix it.

I have some other gremlins to fix but I will make a separate thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor