85 Regal Start Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2017
I just bought an 85 Regal that had to have carb cleaner sprayed in it in the mornings, then would run all day. As of yesterday, that is not working now. It tries to crank but starts for a second then dies. I hear the ticking in the hood and my son says he hears the fuel pump before starting. Any clue as to what can be the problem?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
first you gotta introduce yourself and show us some pictures of your car. You wouldn't think of dropping in on a new neighbor and sitting down for dinner without fist introducing yourself , would ya...:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you won't hear a fuel pump on these cars, it's a mechanical pump. It sounds like your carb could need to rebuilt

• Agree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
V8? V6? Two barrel? 4? Stock carb?

TheCoroner

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2006
The first things that I'd do would be replace the fuel filter. If it's still giving you problems, the carb likely needs a rebuild as others stated.

Sometimes you can get by with a partial disassembly, some carb cleaner and some compressed air, but a rebuild would be beneficial in the long run.

Jamieo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2017
first you gotta introduce yourself and show us some pictures of your car. You wouldn't think of dropping in on a new neighbor and sitting down for dinner without fist introducing yourself , would ya...:)
My apologies, name is Jamie from Tucson.

Attachments

• IMG_0533.JPG
    IMG_0533.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 103
Reactions: 2 users

Jamieo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2017
The guy I bought it from said the motor and carb had 30k on it since rebuild. Haven't dealt with carbs much. After replacing the fuel filter, I will attempt the carb rebuild if it isn't too difficult. Thanks for all the help on this, i'll update what fixes it.

TheCoroner

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2006
That's a fine looking Regal

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
How does the choke work? The flap has to close completely before start and as the engine starts to run, the choke flap opens a tiny bit.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The guy I bought it from said the motor and carb had 30k on it since rebuild. Haven't dealt with carbs much. After replacing the fuel filter, I will attempt the carb rebuild if it isn't too difficult. Thanks for all the help on this, i'll update what fixes it.

if the carb was relatively recently rebuilt and the symptoms you described then I would suspect the accelerator pump is the problem. I have seen "rebuilders" use the black cup which is rubber and gets eaten by the ethanol fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor