86 442- Worth It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs74

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 22, 2010
Illinois
I saw this for sale online. Part of the ad reads this "1986 Oldsmobile 442 original 88000 miles interior and body in good condition motor turns over runs and drives BUT!! I'm going to be selling it as a non running car".

I might call on it although it would have to be shipped half way across the states. Asking 1550. Other than that this is all I know right now. Maybe others have already seen this.

86442.jpg
86442-1.jpg

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
no way that is an 88000 mile car. Brake pedal pad is worn down to the metal, steering wheel is fooked, seat looks distorted. With better pics and confirmation the 8.5 rear is intact it may be worth the $1500 asking price

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
The car looks pretty good in the pictures from what I can see. It might actually be a 188,000 mile car that's been somewhat maintained and had recently been passed around and not driven. Not sure why they would sell it as non-running if it runs and drives.

The interior is all there and seems decent enough, though most of the driver's seat is hidden in the picture. Can't tell if the brake pedal is worn or what that is, probably doesn't mean much as I got my car with 73,000 miles and the brake pedal was and still is messed up. Lots of different things can happen.

Assuming there is some sort of title issue? The earlier Hurst cars are going for $15,000-$30,000 now in top condition, as crazy as that sounds just saying it. Seems really low. Someone died in it? Heck, someone on here was asking if $1400 was a good price for a transmission and rear axle out of one of these (which no, it wasn't a deal in my opinion, though a whole car is a much, much different story).

Where is this car at? State? Perhaps it's packed full of Bondo depending on the location? Though if that was the case I don't think anyone would go to the expense to replace all the decals and re- two-tone it in factory metallic (read: more expensive) colors.

Definitely would have to be seen and figured out in person regardless.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
How about contacting an appraiser in that area to see what it would cost for him/her to take a look at the vehicle.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I saw that car but I thought the price was $1950.00 - It would be one thing if you could see the car and evaluate it but your over 2000 mi's away and the car appears to have issues and tack on a hefty bill to get it home. It wouldn't interest me.

rs74

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 22, 2010
Illinois
I saw that car but I thought the price was $1950.00 - It would be one thing if you could see the car and evaluate it but your over 2000 mi's away and the car appears to have issues and tack on a hefty bill to get it home. It wouldn't interest me.
Yep. That is what I am thinking too. It was 1950 but it dropped a couple of days ago. It's on Seattle craigslist. I haven't had time to look into it with harvest season in full swing. Probably not going to bother. It does look from the pis to be in half way decent shape though.

rs74

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 22, 2010
Illinois
If price dropped $500 you know it has issues - you should have bought my LJ Grand Prix
I have just been on the fence about digging my 79 cutlass out and starting on it or just finding a nice 442 to start on. Always been an Olds guy.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/5239013576.html

It's been repainted... more like 188,000
You'd be surprised to see how clean some of these G-body's can be with over 100k miles... think about how nice cars you see on the lot today with over 100k.
My truck looks new still and has 110k on it, if I could swap the speedometer on a modern vehicle I could sell it as a 30k mile vehicle... just sayin.
I did a car fax on a few of my G-body's and they had over 80k miles on them back in 91,92 and 94 and they are rust free cars and were driven well beyond that and the OD on them today say 39k, 74k and 89k.

This one has 189k miles and a repaint, would you believe it? CarFax showed 81k in 1991.
20140710_072606.jpg

My 87 442 when I bought it in 2002 with 139k on the OD

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor