'86 502+2 updates for 2017 SORC and Race Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I told the navigator that was probably the safest car in the race and he agreed. I told them to watch my video full screen on a on a loop before they come back next year:

That's an awesome video. I've been in a car once at 140+ mph. It was on the track at Texas Motor Speedway and that car didn't have a radio or a glove box.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Also, very impressive driving.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Also, very impressive driving.

The unlimited Record for the road North is 151 mph average (over 31 mph average faster than the video) set by Ron Adee (multiple time winner of the one lap of america) in a 1,200 HP twin turbo LS1 tube frame/carbon fiber Viper that weighed only 2,200lbs and had 2,000lbs of downforce @ 200 mph. Where we were limited to 145 max on the long straight, Ron was doing 220 (his car did over 220 in the standing mile).

Corners I was taking at 95 mph, Ron was taking over 140 mph and the slowest corner of the course, "the Y", Ron got it down to 120 mph (my GPS said about 65 at the apex). Years before he destroyed the record (also set by him), Ron was averaging 158 mph for the course at "the Y" but his Viper caught fire and he DNF'd. He upped the record every year in slower cars (NASCAR road course cars), then brought the Viper back.

Some people can take driving to the next level.

Ron's Viper at the Car & Driver 1 Lap:
even-with-the-hood-on-ron-adees-pseudo-viper-turns-heads-photo-134190-s-986x603.jpg

Flame paint job represents it catching fire on his north run on the SORC at Arnold.

Reactions: 1 users

Z48LT1

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2015
Space Coast, Florida
UNGN,

In your first post to this thread, You wrote:

"4.) Added Thompson Power Blast Plates and tuned the carb to get rid of the off idle bog."

Any comments on whether the Blast Plates were worth the money and effort?

Somewhat related, have you ever driven the race car "cross country" and noted the fuel mileage? Mind sharing?

Best - Gary

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
UNGN,

In your first post to this thread, You wrote:

"4.) Added Thompson Power Blast Plates and tuned the carb to get rid of the off idle bog."

Any comments on whether the Blast Plates were worth the money and effort?

Somewhat related, have you ever driven the race car "cross country" and noted the fuel mileage? Mind sharing?

Best - Gary

I adjusted the accelerator pump cam, changed the sqirters and added the plates and the off idle bog was completely gone. Only some was the plates. How much I can't say but they do seem to help.

We drove it 700 miles over labor day last year averaging 74 mph including stops and got right at 20 mpg. On the opposite trip two days before in my T-Type, averaging 77 mph, we got 23 mpg. Traffic and the visibility of a car with numbers and a full cage made it a little harder to speed in the 2+2 vs. a white T-Type.

It will Cruise at 140mph and get about 15 mpg. Cruising at 165 it gets around 12 mpg. Flogging it it gets 8 mpg.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
This thread is really cool!

I will offer one suggestion, though. If you have any pull with the organization, get them to add an 'H' in the acronym. When I googled "SORC", I was greeted with results for the Sex Offenders Registration Convention or something like that.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I will offer one suggestion, though. If you have any pull with the organization, get them to add an 'H' in the acronym. When I googled "SORC", I was greeted with results for the Sex Offenders Registration Convention or something like that.

Hmmm... I don"t get that. Better clean out your browser history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor