'86 Cutlass Supreme build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
86_cutlass said:
so replacing my water pump did nothing for me and my motor still knocks but i borrow a stethoscope and figured out its a low end knock so i am just going to save up for a new engine. but i found a rust-free trunk lid and passenger door for $150 even though i need both doors one is good
Is it knocking at idle? How about when you give it a little gas? Is it a dull thudding sound? If so and you can hear it from the oil pan it's likely a rod bearing. A quick way to check & see if it's any of the accessories is to just remove the belts and start it up & see if it still does it.

well we listened around with a stethoscope and can hear it mostly from oil pan. then we tried de-carbonizing which did nothing. then we found the #2 cylinder is bad by unhooking the spark plug wires individually.

the car might be going in storage if i can get this other car or i might sell it cause storage would be $50 a month. then i would have to register and insure the new car. buy a tarp and jack stands for the cutlass in storage. then while paying all my bills save some money for a new engine and transmission for the cutlass.

or sell it as an engine swap candidate to someone on some oldsmobile forums or craigslist.

idk what to do

put new rims on a couple weeks ago and i blacked out the grilles and headlight area and painted my woodgrain black (forgot to take pics) installed my cd player and some 6x9's
100_1638.jpg

100_1637.jpg

also i will be taking a leave from your site because the cutlass is going into storage at a buddies until i can afford to re-do it (engine, transmission, exhaust, etc.) i have a couple spun bearings in the engine. i am hopefully buying a nice 84 gmc jimmy (s10 blazer) for $500 to get me through.

maybe ill sell the cutlass but ill let you guys know first cause it is pretty clean for a new england car manufacured in canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor