86 El Camino 305 to 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
I have an 86 SS El Camino, 100% stock as far as engine and drivetrain goes. It has a 305, a 200R4, and 2.56:1 gears. I Know that upgrading to a 350 is a pretty common swap, but I'd like some help with it. I have no experience, and have no idea where to start. I am also on a budget, and by that, I mean no more than a couple thousand dollars tops. I'm not looking for 300hp. 200 is fine, because right now, I probably have close to 130 at the wheels. I want to slowly update my whole car, starting with the engine, and eventually doing everything else in the engine bay like radiator and other things, then transmission, etc. is there anyone who can just tell me EXACTLY what I need to do, or refer me to a website that has SPECIFIC instructions for this exact swap? Fyi, I plan to keep my engine carburated, and I'm not looking for an LS1 upgrade. Any help is appreciated, thanks

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Your set up sounds like what I started with. 1986 El Camino, LG4 305, 200r4 Transmission, 2.56 posi rear.
I started with a 1974 vintage 350 block bored .030, stock crank & 5.7 rods, Keith Black Hypereutectic flat top pistons, good set of moly rings, Crane Compucam which was close to the "Chevy 151" 350hp 327ci.cam. I ran 76cc smog heads that came with the engine. Just had a good 3 angle valve job with some minor port work to clean up casting flash in the runners on both the intake and exhaust ports, screw in studs and guide plates added to run Harland Sharp roller rockers. Used the stock intake again with some casting flash clean up in the runners, Q jet computer control carb worked fine after a rebuild and some changes to the secondary metering rods and hanger. (This was pure trial and error to find hangers and secondary rods this combo liked).
Exhaust was handled with long tube headers (Blackjack) modified to accept the AIR injection system and the O2 sensor. From there I ran dual 3in/3out cats, a true dual exhaust system from Torque Tech with Flowmaster mufflers.
I ended up using a stock 86 Monte Carlo SS Prom chip in the computer which worked better than the performance LG4 chip I had tried.
Transmission was sent out to a local builder who upgraded this unit to handle 400+ hp (This combo made nowhere near that) and added a D5 lock-up converter.
Cooling was handled by a stock heavy duty 3 core radiator and clutch fan. Never went above 200 degrees even with the A/C .
I put over 150,000 miles on this combination. It was the Western New York State winters that took their toll on the frame and floors that stopped this ride.
It also ran 9.70'S in the 1/8 mile!
Hope this helps.
Bob S.

Attachments

• El Camino-1.JPG
    El Camino-1.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 718

el corvino

Greasemonkey
Aug 23, 2015
Don't waste money on little upgrades now... knowing you will do bigger ones later. You'll just waste money and prolong your build. I became familiar with the upgrades during a little frame off auction on my elco's. Those 350's are the best? I guess my little motor turned stroker on 3 stages and putting down 955 to the rear wheels didn't make the cut. :(

build 1
p7.jpg

IMG_5045.jpg

IMG_4859.jpg

build 2
IMG_3065.jpg

PS - build your elco right. They are going up in value... and since mods make them worth more money and more fun, I actually enjoy driving either of those over my Grand National.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor